MITRE’s Artificial Intelligence and Autonomy Systems Department has a need for a Lead Artificial Intelligence Engineer. Our work programs need top individuals with a passion for artificial intelligence, experience and proficiency with algorithmic design and development; specifically, in machine learning (including deep learning), and one or more of the following technical areas: cognitive science, multi-agent systems, knowledge-based reasoning, automated planning, semantics, and ontologies.
You will have opportunities to work on a wide range of problems, leading and working with teams possessing a broad range of skills. Your experience will allow you to influence research directions; evaluate the challenges and potential solutions for designing, developing, and fielding artificial intelligence solutions; assess the adequacy and maturation of existing research programs and shape their technical and programmatic direction; and identify new areas where research and development are needed to strengthen the nation’s growing artificial intelligence capabilities.
Day to day responsibilities:
- Work on, or lead, a team to develop and implement AI algorithms
- Develop and use modern software engineering techniques to develop AI-related software
- Maintain knowledge of advances of AI capabilities in industry and academia
- Develop, propose and execute research in the field of AI
- Develop and propose new research directions in AI-enabled systems in support of MITRE’s internal research program and sponsor’s research programs
- Evaluate AI solutions and compare to sponsor requirements and needs
- Bachelors Degree in Machine / Deep Learning, artificial intelligence or related discipline
- 8 + years of experience in defining, developing, and deploying AI solutions.
- 8 + years successful experience in AI-relevant fields, such as machine learning, deep learning, multi-agent systems, planning, and data science.
- Documented ability to articulate AI-specific challenges, discuss critical issues, and identify gaps.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) along with ability to foster relationship development with sponsors
- Proven ability to work independently to learn new technologies, techniques, processes, languages, platforms, systems
- Ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Experience with programming languages such as C++ and Python.
- Familiarity with the state of the art in the field.
- Advanced degree in artificial intelligence, Machine / Deep Learning or related
- Active DoD Secret clearance.