Build your engineering career and help us shape the future of education.
Duolingo is the most popular language learning application in the world, with over 300 million users and hundreds of billions of data points. We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding elegant solutions. If this sounds like you, then come help us build the next-generation learning company!
Duolingo software engineers develop next-generation education technology. We’re looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas in computer science, including natural language processing, machine learning, large-scale system design, and iOS & Android mobile app development. As an iOS software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Duolingo’s needs, with opportunities to switch teams and projects as our fast-paced startup grows and evolves. You will develop applications primarily in Swift. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to tackle new problems across the full-stack as we continue to innovate.
The Beijing office is Duolingo’s first and only office outside the United States. This is a unique opportunity to become part of the founding team of Duolingo’s China office and work with other talented Duolingo software engineers, designers, product managers, and learning scientists globally.
- Collaborate on software projects with product design and backend aspects
- Develop, release, and maintain backend services and/or infrastructure
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- A solid foundation in computer science with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design
- Some programming experience in Swift
- Relocation to Beijing, China. This position is based in Beijing.
- Strong spoken and written English skills.
Exceptional candidates will have:
- 5 years of programming experience in either Swift
- Strong technical knowledge of iOS mobile application development for iPhone/iPad using Swift with Cocoa Touch and related frameworks
- Experience designing clean and maintainable APIs
- Experience with multithreaded programming
- Experience writing unit tests and testable code
- Knowledge of iOS SDK performance tools and optimization techniques