What is G2i?
G2i is a marketplace and collective for engineers by engineers – a 100% remote, fully distributed group of industry leaders, conference speakers, subject matter experts, and real people from all over the world who live and breathe React, React Native, and Node.
G2i brings together vetted engineers and clients via our marketplace. Engineers develop an app (vetting available in React Web, React Native, or Node…or all of them!) and discuss it with one of our real, human experts – no whiteboarding or algorithms. Your app and follow up conversation not only grant you access to available contracts, but are displayed proudly on your profile so that potential clients can see what you can do. Say goodbye to hunting for work, waiting on late payments, complex contracts and paperwork, and working on dying tech – we handle all that stuff so you can do what you do best.
G2i is short for “Good News to the Internet.” We are convinced that our primary vision & mission are good news to companies that need to hire engineers. While we are going about fulfilling that primary vision & mission, we will also be good news to those in need. We are on a mission to help hundreds of street kids in Nairobi, Kenya obtain education, a safe home, parental care, and the love they need. We are also committed to supporting the open-source community by finding ways to financially support those who build the OSS we rely on.
In simple terms we want engineers that take pride in their craft, are never satisfied with their knowledge base, and get excited about building applications in React, React Native, and/or Node. We look for people comfortable working in dynamic engineering environments and display strong communication and documentation skills. Here is what this actually means to us:
- You have 1+ years of professional development experience and have at least 1 year of React Native and/or React production experience.
- You want to blow us away with your skillset – our code challenge often takes 6-8 hours to complete within ~7 days.
- You are fluent in both verbal and written English and are comfortable communicating directly with technical and non-technical clients.
- You are available 30-40 hours per week.
- You might have other experience with Rails, Python, Apollo Client/GraphQL, native Android (Java, Kotlin) or iOS (Objective C, Swift). But if you don’t, that’s OK too!
- You have prior experience as a freelancer or are someone that enjoys having the freedom to choose the types of projects that best align with your interests. You also understand that freelancing can come with potential downtime.
- You are flexible and can adjust to the working styles of different teams. Some teams may want to pair-program and have daily interaction others may want engineers to work independently and only interact a few hours per week.
Vetting – Developers and Clients
G2i also vets clients so that you’ll be contracting with clients that place a high value on engineering and focus on running healthy projects. We take care of contracts, billing, payments and all of the other work that goes into freelancing so that engineers can focus on code and clients on building their product. Our vision is for the hiring process to be simple, trustworthy and enjoyable for both companies and engineers.
When we vet clients we make sure they:
- Prioritize communication
- Plan appropriately and have realistic timelines
- Understand the cost of healthy development and have a budget to pay for it
When we vet engineers we make sure:
- Engineers vet other engineers
- Our code challenges are to the point and based on production-level code, no whiteboarding
- Our process is objective, repeatable and quantitively scored
- Our process is completely transparent
Who you will work with
We only work with companies that value engineers and run healthy engineering teams. We regularly partner with Y Combinator funded product companies that place a high value on engineering. Some of the companies we have worked with are: Lattice, Major League Soccer, ZeeMee, Software Engineering Daily, and Truebill with new clients coming in weekly.
G2i is an equal opportunity employer. We’re dedicated to building a team where diversity in both ideas and identities is not only welcomed, but encouraged. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’d like to learn more or set up a no-commitment exploratory call, apply via g2i.co/apply and we’ll get in touch with you. Thanks!