SSENSE, pronounced [es–uhns], is a Montreal-based fashion platform with global reach. Founded in 2003, SSENSE is pacing the vanguard of directional retail with a mix of luxury, streetwear, and avant-garde labels. We produce industry-leading original content and take pride in building our own technology solutions and systems from scratch. Our field of focus has grown beyond that of a typical e-commerce entity as we explore the nexus of content, commerce, and culture.
Currently serving 150 countries, generating an average of 88 million monthly page views, and achieving high double digit annual growth since inception, SSENSE is becoming a cultural protagonist in its own right.
*This is a remote position within Texas
SSENSE is looking for a Senior Developer to join our rapidly growing technology team. The Senior Developer will take complex features of the product roadmap, break them down into their required technical components, and develop them independently.
They own at least one component of the SSENSE technical stack and holds accountability for its SLAs. The ideal candidate will actively contribute to knowledge dissemination within the organization, participate in the recruiting and onboarding of new employees, and mentor Junior Developers on the team.
- Develop a deep understanding of the product roadmap for the squad, including future features to be developed
- Contribute to high-level estimation and participate in laying out the development sequences, challenging the product roadmap and identifying areas where technical debt can be reduced or avoided
- Complete independently complex development tasks and actively contribute to pushing code to production
- Write testable, efficient, and reusable code suitable for continuous integration and deployment, respecting best practices and SSENSE development standards
- Review Unified Modeling Language (UML) diagrams and technical documentation
Ownership and accountability
- Be accountable for code quality, with the assistance of a QA Analyst, by conducting adequate testing
- Be accountable for performance, reliability, scalability and resilience of at least one technical component owned by the squad through SLAs and monitoring
- Contribute to cross-squad initiatives, acting as a change agent amongst peers to foster adoption of new processes or technical solutions
Knowledge sharing and coaching
- Review Pull Requests with the objective to guide and upskill junior developers on various technical topics
- Actively contribute to SSENSE University, the internal peer learning platform, to promote continuous learning
- Participate in the onboarding of new developers
- Contribute to solution designs, challenging other members on technical decisions and explaining the technical design to junior developers so they can write documentation for the rest of the team
- Participate in HR recruiting events, helping to identify and recruit top developers
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field, Master’s degree an asset
- A minimum of 5 years of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) experience
- Expertise in a microservices architecture
- Strong knowledge of caching technologies (Fastly, Redis, Varnish) with the ability to identify opportunities for improvement
- Expertise with RDBMS and NoSQL databases at scale
- Proficiency with cloud resources (AWS/Google Cloud/Azure) with the ability to operate them for the components owned, Certification preferred
- Ability to use containers and orchestration frameworks (Kubernetes, Giant Swarm, etc.)
- Proficiency in Git
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in both English and French
- Highly analytical and detail oriented
- Ability to coach and mentor junior employees to achieve personal and professional goals
- Team player with a high sense of accountability and ownership
- Ability to influence and drive change
- Solution-oriented mindset and can-do attitude to overcome challenges
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and master frequently changing Web technologies and techniques
WORLD CLASS TECHNOLOGY
Technology is at the core of everything we do at SSENSE. Driven by an engineering mindset and a problem-solving attitude, we blend fashion with technology to deliver an unparalleled experience to our customers as we build seamless, custom solutions to deliver the SSENSE offering.
WORLD CLASS TEAM
The SSENSE tech team is responsible for an international headless commerce platform. Working in an agile environment, our squads are made up of experienced innovators in Product Management, QA, Design, DevOps, Software Development, Machine Learning, Data Engineering, and Security. Headquartered in Montreal, our technology organization has been growing at a rate of 2X year-over-year and is doubling once again in 2021 as we expand across Canada, US, and Europe.
WORLD CLASS PLATFORM
The SSENSE platform runs on Amazon Web Services making use of serverless microservices across web, mobile and app. Our event-source architecture already achieves over 10,000 requests / second and growing at an unmatched pace, currently unseen across the industry. Our data-driven culture of innovation empowers every product team across the tech organization to explore building, testing and learning with the latest in Machine Learning techniques. Our automated continuous improvement DevOps model (making use of both blue / green and canary deployments) results in an average of 50 production releases every day.
Read more about us on our SSENSE Tech Blog.