Work anywhere in the US, must live in the US
We are growing! Join a technology team of 35+ rockstar developers, quality assurance engineers, business analysts, project managers, etc who support a company of over 130 people with industry-leading web applications for subscription-based continuing education.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Our meetings are filled with sarcasm, laughter, and movie quotes. We share code on github whenever able and we try to contribute back to the open-source community, on whose shoulders we stand. Though we are virtual, we communicate a lot and have a tight-knit group. Paired programming isn’t required, but it’s encouraged along with lots of collaboration. We have worked with the CakeDC core group and keep up to date via continuing education, conferences, etc.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking an experienced and engaged PHP DEVELOPER who is motivated, creative, and fun to support and extend our existing codebase, and to develop new custom Laravel web applications.
- Full-Time W2 position, work 8a-5p in your time zone
- Work from your home office
- Company-provided MacBook Pro, Internet stipend, etc
- Must be located in the United States and be legally eligible to work for us
- Travel is required for an annual company meeting, and may be required once or twice per year for team or project meetings (once COVID clears of course)
- Major web application feature development and bug fixing - both refactoring of legacy code and ground-up development of new development efforts
- Plan, code, and deploy new features, applications, projects, modules, and plugins
- Troubleshoot highly-specific application bugs and determine resolutions
- Assist stakeholders in developing feature specifications
- Suggest improvements, security needs, best practices, etc (your voice will be heard)
Self-management and time management are critical in this role. Without it, you will not be successful. Other requirements include:
- A communication pro – must be able to explain technical issues to a non-technical person, pleasantly (we are always on Slack with stakeholders)
- Extensive experience with PHP, Modern Frameworks (Laravel, CakePHP, etc.), HTML5, jQuery, Vue, SASS & CSS
- Structured, disciplined approach to development, testing, and deployment. We are not a start-up
- Highly-attentive to details, able to cross all the t's and dot all the i's and help review/fix issues with the code of others
- There is direct project oversight, but you are expected to take ownership of your work and your projects, establish deadlines, and communicate progress proactively
- Eager to research and learn in a self-directed way (always improving)
- Easygoing, fun, and a team player – must be able to comprehend highly-advanced forms of sarcasm
- Working knowledge of xkcd comic strip or similar, is useful
We prefer a great/interested/excited programmer with less experience to an unmotivated or unengaged programmer with tons of experience.
Submit a cover letter with your resume that includes 1) a development project you are particularly proud of, and why; and 2) a favorite clip from youtube. Submissions without this information will not be considered.