Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
Who you are:
While you've enjoyed building out wonderful user features and writing elegant solutions in the past, you find yourself wanting to get deeper into building the tools and improving architecture to better support future growth of the codebase. You enjoy finding patterns to turn into abstractions that make sense, and build on sensible ideas to support other teams' goals. Equally, you’re interested in working with other engineering teams, teaching/mentoring, and collaborating on solutions for multi-team systems. Complexity is not the goal, sustainability is. The greatest feeling in the world is getting the code to move out of the way to make way for ideas and progress. You consider yourself an engineering leader, wanting to drive critical architecture decisions and implementation.
Responsibilities of the role
- Play a pivotal role in designing and developing our core system frameworks that enable all of our Engineering teams
- Working across teams to analyze roadblocks, collaborate on solutions, and technical training
- Design, develop, test, and deploy ways to improve application and page performance
- 6-8+ years of relevant software engineering experience building frictionless web experiences
- Bonus experience: TypeScript, NextJS, Lerna
- Basic proficiency with servers like Rails
- Familiarity with modern compute paradigms including serverless implementations
- Creative thinker who enjoys fast-paced environments and is able to work through ambiguity
- Ability to decompose complex business problems and drive toward a solution with minimal oversight
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.