Chewy is seeking a talented and motivated Senior Software Engineer to join our team in Bellevue, WA. As a Software Engineer, you will serve as a senior engineer to design and build new services and frameworks that will power new product features across Chewy.com. This is an opportunity to be one of the founding engineers of a new team challenged with delivering a greenfield project that will wow our customers and deliver on our mission to be the most trusted and convenient online destination for pet parents (and partners), everywhere.
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as a technical lead on business critical, cross-functional projects.
- Design, develop, and implement large scale distributed systems that process and serve large volumes of data.
- Hold a high bar for the quality of the architecture and design of systems.
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development.
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions that operationally scale and are easily maintained.
- Instill engineering excellence in the team and have the drive to focus on scalability, resiliency, high availability and performance of applications.
- Actively mentor engineers, build and foster a strong engineering team culture, and be a key contributor in raising the bar of the engineering org.
- Generate and analyze engineering metrics to inform leadership and make data driven decisions.
- Exhibit excellent verbal and written communication and convey dissenting opinions in a constructive manner.
- Contribute intellectual property through patents.
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelors in Computer Science or related field.
- 5+ years of industry experience.
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills.
- Strong computer science fundamentals (OO/functional design, data structures & algorithms)
- Proficiency in Java, Kotlin, or another modern programming language.
- Proficiency in system-level design – microservices and service oriented architecture at scale.
- Experience developing software in an agile environment with CI/CD.
- Expert understanding how to build and scale applications in the cloud (AWS) with a focus on devops.
- Position may require occasional travel.
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience taking a project from inception through launch. Includes influencing the vision, communicating with leadership, stakeholders, and technical teams to disambiguate requirements, describe software product features, and produce technical design documents.
- Experience with full-stack application development, partnering with UX design and an understanding of modern front-end design patterns and frameworks, such as React.