We work at the intersection of advertising and messaging technologies to connect millions of brands to billions of fans. As part of the Advertising team, we’re paving the way for a sustainable global Spotify business that allows even more creators to make a living off their art. Come join us and help build the platform that powers promotion at Spotify. Spotify is hiring Backend Engineers to join our Free Product engineering organization. Our team is charged with scaling Spotify's Free Product. Your work will impact our 129 Million free monthly active users and millions of artists either by working directly on product features or publishing and insight tools. We are looking for engineers that share our common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability, and continued development. You will closely collaborate with our internal customers to figure out the best API and backend system design to scalably meet their needs. You will build the backend systems that power our application, scale highly distributed systems, and continuously improve our engineering practices. Above all, this work will impact how the world experiences music. *Please note: this posting represents multiple roles across various teams, including a range of responsibilities and experience level*
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with key internal partners to determine how to scalably design backend systems and APIs
- Architect, develop, and operate Java services deployed to millions of users.
- Work with data engineers to build and maintain batch and real-time data pipelines with data processing frameworks like Scio, Storm, Spark and the Google Cloud Platform.
- Be a technical leader and valued contributor in an autonomous, cross-functional agile team
- Collaborate with other engineers, product owners, and designers to identify and solve challenging problems, creating awesome music sessions for users worldwide.
- Be a leader of the Spotify-wide backend developer community affecting and driving our architecture across the company.
- Work on what you want during regular hack days and annual hack weeks.
Who You Are
- You have experience working directly with stakeholders to understand, document and develop APIs and systems to meet their requirements, driving increased adoption and reducing reliance on custom one-off implementations.
- You have written distributed, high-volume services and know how to deploy and keep them running in production.
- You have interest in big data processing technologies.
- You love working in an environment where you constantly experiment and iterate quickly.
- You believe data is the most powerful tool for informed decision-making.
- You have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms.
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code.
- You are willing to work from our awesome office in New York. We offer relocation packages if you do not currently live in the area.
Where You'll Be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern Standard time zone for collaboration