Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
Our business is growing explosively: 900,000+ learners have taken more than over 7M class hours. We've more than quadrupled our team since the beginning of 2020 from 25 to 118 to keep up with growth. We’ve raised $130M since founding with most of that still in the bank. We’ve also been named Fast Company’s most innovative edtech company in the world and in the top ten best startups for women from Elpha.
We're committed to access and impact so we founded outschool.org to offer financial assistance to families in need. In addition, Outschool has created an Educator Endowment Fund in appreciation for these teachers who are so central to our mission of inspiring kids to love learning.
Our product and expertise have become central to many families, educators and organizations and will continue to provide kids with unique opportunities to explore their interests in 2021 and beyond.
We are an effective team of engineers, getting a lot done by staying focused on the work that matters. We're iteratively building up a complex product for a highly engaged audience. We're now looking to build mobile applications for our learners, parents, and teachers, and are excited to bring on the first iOS native developer to help determine the future of mobile engineering at Outschool and deliver our first native apps. Our upcoming projects include building individual mobile applications for our learners, parents, and teachers.
We have a modern API/backend stack: GraphQL/Apollo for API layer, and Node/Express backed by PostgreSQL. We are looking for our first mobile engineer to help us build out our mobile stack.
- Design and implement the stack Outschool uses to develop mobile apps based on modern best practices
- Collaborate closely with Product and Design to build engaging features and experiences for learners
- Identify opportunities to use native mobile capabilities to enable new features
- Work cross-functionally across Engineering pods and other departments across the company
- Ensure speed and quality by building modern pipelines for building, testing, deployment, and monitoring of mobile applications
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- 8+ years of industry programming experience
- 5+ years modern iOS development experience, recent projects in Swift
- Implement pixel perfect UI/UX with advanced animations
- Experience working with GraphQL APIs and ability to extend them
- Using and introducing latest iOS development best practices
- Proven ability in peer-to-peer collaboration via pairing, documentation, and knowledge sharing
- Track record of ownership of technical projects
- Ability to write clean, readable code that performs at scale
- Previous experience in startups, especially edtech
- Passion for learning and education
- Have something to teach us
At Outschool, we believe that taking care of one another enables us to do our best work. To us that means:
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and a 401k that makes saving for retirement easier.
- Health & Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO & Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Fully Distributed: With a team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established 501c3s, and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to disabled veterans and applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in the U.S. or Canada.