We're open to hearing from London-based or fully/partially remote candidates, as we work from everywhere (within GMT+2 hours)
Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. We are using technology and data science to build the world’s leading and most loved flower company. We’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, are growing at 100% year on year and are in a strong position financially (and have been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the Covid-19 crisis).
We’ve raised multiple rounds of venture capital and private equity funding, have been named one of the 5 fastest-growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
The technology team at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now 300+ people. You will join one of our core squads in our Technology team, each consisting of a small, close-knit team of developers, a product manager and a tester. Squads work closely with their Business counterpart team on solutions that accelerate growth both within and outside our UK core business. This posting is for a role with the Checkout squad
The Checkout squad’s mission statement
“Help our customers to effortlessly customise, curate and confidently purchase thoughtful gifts, whilst ensuring a low abandonment rate”
Checkout squad objectives
- Help our customers to effortlessly customise and curate their gifts to increase average items per order
- Tailor and optimise the checkout funnel depending on the market and the gifter’s mission to increase conversion rate
- Create confidence and trust with our customers and mitigate risk by ensuring our platform is PCI level 1 compliance
The role and ways of working
- You’ll play a part in delivering your squad's and the Technology team's roadmaps. This will mean writing, reviewing and supporting code in our platform, taking ideas from requirements to production code, and being responsible for quality at every step along the way.
- You’ll work with some great technology. Our backend platform, currently using Ruby 2.6.5 and Rails 6 is backed by PostgreSQL, Fargate/ECS on AWS, with APIs that are used by our Angular 7 web app and our native mobile apps. We are also looking to develop new microservices in GoLang in an event-driven, serverless architecture.
- You will bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for opportunities to learn and craft the role around our values; care, pride, customer first, innovation and delight.
- For our senior members and above, there is an expectation to participate in our compensated out of hours support on a rota basis throughout the year, in line with our Out of Hours policy
- You can read more about our technology and culture over on our tech blog - Code & Wild
- As a senior Ruby developer (5 years+) you’ll have a solid understanding of Ruby on Rails in a production environment and some experience of TDD. You will also have experience of good CI/CD and observability practices.
- Experience of distributed service architectures, including how best to test and release them, and how to ensure system stability when making changes independent of other services.
- Experience working with RESTful APIs, version control (like GitHub), CI (like Codebuild), and testing tools like RSpec/Cucumber.
- You’ll be keen to stay up-to-date with the latest technologies, favour working on usable MVPs, and using real customer feedback to continuously iterate and improve our technology. We provide a healthy learning and development budget and the opportunity to take time off work to use it.
- You’ll take a collaborative, empirical and experimental approach to solving problems.
Nice to have
- We encourage developers to be full-stack, so if you’re familiar with front-end, have experience as a full-stack developer or an interest in infrastructure then that’s a huge plus.
- Experience working in a fast-growing (preferably consumer-facing) startup.
- Previous experience of working with warehouse or stock management systems.
We #carewildly about creating a diverse team. So we encourage people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. Everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.
Our full team is currently working remotely. In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Regular virtual yoga classes with more virtual exercise variety to come!
- Celebrating birthdays with letterbox cake
- Weekly updates from our senior team
- Remote lunch and learns
- Supporting our wellbeing through online support sessions, access to wellbeing specialists, and employee assistance programs.
- Specialist online support to talk about the challenges we are facing in the current environment
Return to work and our new normal
The team's safety and wellbeing is our primary concern during this period and our return to our flower-filled office will be gradual, considered and only when we feel safe to do so. Whilst recognising that some of us will prefer to be office-based, this period has shown we can adopt remote work very well and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work.
When we're in the office
Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum
- Free breakfast, snacks and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through SimplyHealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
We apply our five key values (delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride) in our day to day activities and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Before you start, you will be able to choose whatever laptop you need, a widescreen monitor to plug into and whatever other tools you need.
See more on life at Bloom & Wild here.
Our recruitment process
The interview process consists of a thirty-minute phone call with one of our Engineering Managers. If that goes well then we’ll send you an offline technical exercise in Ruby. We don’t want you spending more than two hours on it (and we appreciate that you may have commitments that make doing the test impossible - if that’s the case then please let us know, and we can discuss alternatives).
Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 then this will be followed by a series of remote interviews. During this time you’d get the chance to meet with some of the squad, talk with our VP Engineering Steve and one of our Product Managers and find out what it’s like to work for Europe’s fastest-growing online flower company.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation