We inspire people to keep learning.
Through audio and text explainers called Blinks, original podcasts, and author-driven content, Blinkist is on a mission to help people turn ordinary moments into extraordinary learning opportunities—anytime, anywhere.
Main Location: Berlin or Barcelona
Remote Policy: Fully remote with your main location being in Germany or Spain
Team: Engineering & Data
Hours: Flexible, 40 hours / week
Reporting to: David Möller, Engineering Manager
Contact Person: Annie Li, Talent Acquisition
We’re looking for a Senior or Expert Backend Engineer to join one of our cross-functional teams, where iOS, Android, and Backend Engineers, Designers, QA, and a Product Owner collaborate with the help of an Agile Coach, helping millions of users discover new content. You will:
- Write high-quality and maintainable code. Test, collaboratively review, and ship it. Our stack is predominantly based on Ruby (Backend), Swift (iOS) and Kotlin (Android), but we’re always open to using different frameworks and/or programming languages.
- Follow and iterate on engineering best practice to achieve a robust code base, e.g. through code reviews and unit tests.
- Collaborate closely with Product and Design to build new features.
- Support other teams in finding pragmatic solutions that can be implemented in a reasonable amount of time.
- Identify and proactively address challenges on the backend, driving complex technical decisions within your peer group.
- Take ownership of managing and extending our backend services. Use your technical expertise in building backend architecture and infrastructure at scale
Why you? We're looking for:
- Experience in building and delivering robust, scalable platforms tackling performance and optimisation problems to serve million customers worldwide
- Expertise with Rest APIs, modern database technologies at high scale and both testing and observability patterns
- Advanced understanding of different programming paradigms (OOP, Functional, protocol oriented), clean code, high quality tests, security as well as performance related topics
- Proficient in English and comfortable communicating even complex technical information. We work in a hybrid set-up, so clear communication is important for us.
It would be great if you could bring:
- Demonstrated ability to own and carry out a big project end to end involving complex decisions based on business and technological impact
- Feeling comfortable handling all layers needed (Mobile, Backend, DevOps) with common frameworks and languages
- Hands-on experience with AWS or similar cloud based services