Note from the Hiring Manager, Pierangelo:
"This ad goes out to those who want to do meaningful work, take ownership, and never stop learning. As a Senior Backend Engineer at Blinkist, you join our Recommendations Mission – a team of 5 Software Engineers helping users discover relevant and valuable content at the right time and inspire them. Thus, you work in a cross-functional team where iOS, Android, and Backend Engineers, Designers, QA, and a Product Owner collaborate with the help of an Agile Coach. This is where you come in."
What you will do
- In a cross-functional team, help millions of users discover new content on iOS, Android, and Web.
- Take ownership of managing and extending our backend services. Use your technical expertise in building backend architecture and infrastructure at scale.
- Write high-quality, maintainable code, test, collaboratively review, and ship it.
- Identify and proactively address challenges on the backend, driving complex technical decisions within your peer group.
- Follow and iterate on engineering best practice to achieve a robust code base, e.g. through code reviews and unit tests.
- Around 5 years overall engineering experience, and at least 3 years specifically with backend services
- Expertise with Ruby, Rest APIs, and modern database technologies
- In-depth experience in building robust, scalable platforms tackling performance and optimisation problems
- Proficient in English and comfortable communicating even complex technical information
Great to have:
- Advanced understanding of different programming paradigms, clean code, high quality tests, security as well as performance related topics
- Demonstrated ability to own and carry out a big project end to end involving complex decisions based on business and technological impact
- Hands-on experience with AWS
- University degree in Computer Science or a related field
At Blinkist, we embrace a hybrid way of work where you can choose to work remotely, from home, or the Blinkist office. For candidates wishing to relocate to Berlin, we support both relocation and visa processes.
At Blinkist, we don’t just accept our differences — we celebrate and support our diversity. We are committed to fair and inclusive hiring practices and want to provide equal opportunity.