In this role, the Senior Infrastructure Engineer will be responsible for creating, modifying, maintaining and supporting infrastructure. This person will need to balance availability, security, efficiency and functional requirements to help provide an optimized production service. Identifying and managing existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and ensure these risks are effectively identified and escalated to be measured, monitored and controlled.
What You Will Do:
- Investigate and manage the adoption of appropriate tools, techniques and processes (including automation) for the management of systems and services. Ensure that appropriate software or specialist monitoring tools are used to maintain awareness and control of the hardware and software.
- Investigate and advise for procurement of hardware and/or services as needed to ensure adequate and performant infrastructure to build out a test environment consisting of possibly hundreds of network attached virtual machines.
- Provide for adequate engineering such that a variety of environments can be realized on each of the virtual machines using the appropriate container and orchestration technologies.
- Provide effective visualization of the status of the above mentioned testing environment such that testing engineers can effectively assess the status of the environments.
- Schedule and supervise maintenance and installation work, including major configuration changes and upgrades.
- Conduct investigations on system performance, security, risks, and system usage, and make proposals for improvement.
- Ensure that operational incidents and problems are identified, recorded, monitored and resolved. Provide appropriate status and other reports to specialists, users and managers.
- Investigate suspected attacks and undertake the investigation and resolution of security incidents, in accordance with established procedures including incident management procedures. Uses forensics where appropriate. Report on findings and lessons learnt / improvement actions.
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor’s Degree/ MCSE or 5+ years in similar role
- Extensive experience in large VM environments
- Understanding of complex environments and the ability to quickly develop an understanding of new tools
- Understanding and working knowledge of Google Cloud platform,
- Working knowledge of VMWare / Microsoft Hyper-V Server virtualization technologies
- Technical expertise with Docker, Kubernetes or other container/orchestration systems.
- Awareness of Security Management and Penetration testing tool sets