Canonical, the Ubuntu Linux distribution publisher, is at the forefront of the Cloud and IoT revolutions. Our products and services help our customers revolutionize their industry by running the world’s most advanced, secure, and reliable operating system as well as its many related applications.
The Internet Of Things (IoT) paradigm is going to change our world. At Canonical, we are expanding our team of field engineers to tackle that challenge head-on. We are looking for bright minds that share our passion for high-quality technology to join our team. If you relish a challenge, this career opportunity may be for you.
Our Senior Linux Field Engineers IoT play a crucial role in our quest. They visit clients, analyze their needs, propose solutions, and adapt them for new purposes when relevant. In addition, they share a passion for achieving the previously impossible and delivering tangible value to customers.
Do you have what it takes to join us? Here are some of the things we are looking for:
- Bachelor (or higher) degree in Computer Science, related engineering field, or equivalent experience
- A comprehensive understanding of Linux and the makeup of a modern GNU/Linux distribution, Debian or Ubuntu preferred. That should include:
- basic system administration
- the boot process
- the Init system and the lifecycle of system services
- the mechanics of apt and software updates
- Linux network configuration
- standard Linux security features (DAC, root, ssh, sudo, …)
- Experience with one or more types of Linux packaging (Debian, RPM, Yocto)
- Basic understanding of Security concepts, technologies, and best practices (certificates, CVEs, HSMs, PKI, Secure Boot, ...)
- Comfortable with modern programming languages like Golang, Python, or C/C++
- Good understanding of networking protocols (TCP/UDP, IP, DHCP/DNS, HTTP, …)
- Experience working with:
- Linux Bluetooth stack (Legacy or BLE)
- Linux graphics stack (e.g. X11, Wayland, …) and/or digital signage applications
- Linux audio (ALSA, Jack, PulseAudio, …)
- Apparmor, Linux SE, or LSMs
- Experience with containers (docker, lxc/lxd, K8s, ...)
Business and others
- The candidate will ideally have previous field engineering experience or worked in a customer-facing role. However, we will also be considering candidates with the right profile and interest in technical sales and field engineering
- A quick study that is never done learning
- A self-starter that is determined to deliver value to his/her clients and Canonical
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team
- Ability to multi-task and follow-up reliably on commitments
- Ability to travel globally for periods of up to two weeks; overall 30% travel time once it is safe again to travel
We offer a dynamic, distributed work environment where you will have the opportunity to learn every day and help change the world, one client at a time. So come and grow with us.
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.