The design consultant works closely with the customer in the design center/studio and at the customer’s home to create individualized design solutions and to sell Ethan Allen products and services exclusively. The designs include space planning, fabric coordination, product selection and overall project design. Successful execution is evidenced by developing individualized designs and achieving sales goals in a commission-based selling environment representing Ethan Allen products and services.
- Create design solutions by selling Ethan Allen products and services that are consistent with the customer’s preference and budget.
- Customarily and regularly (typically on a weekly basis) make home calls to evaluate the customer’s needs and provide a total individualized design solution that closes the sale.
- Professional greet customers to establish rapport and obtain appointments and in-home consultations.
- Educate customers about the complimentary design service Ethan Allen provides, offering as little or as much design service as a customer desires.
- Remain current on design and color trends to create fashionable design solutions.
- Coordinate with the team to provide exceptional service to customers, before and after the sale, by promptly keeping customers informed of their order status including any delays.
- Participate as required in all corporate sponsored marketing and training programs.
- Educate customers on all the Ethan Allen sponsored finance options available to them.
- Contribute towards the development and on-going upkeep of the team’s design portfolio.
- Utilize corporate systems and technology to maximize efficiency in designing projects, creating presentations and providing professional service for the design team’s customers.
- Enter and monitor orders utilizing the retail point of sale system.
- Work cooperatively in maintaining a neat and orderly Design Center projection.
- Perform any other duties as required
Education/Experience: A minimum of five years, combined, practical interior design experience and interior design education, two or four year degree, from an accredited institution and eligible for ARIDO or NCIDQ certification within one year; or a minimum of eight years practical interior design experience and eligible for NCIDQ or CIDA certification within six months. Broad knowledge of interior design and effective sales techniques.Required to work some holidays and weekends.
An entrepreneurial attitude and approach with strong communication and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to practice residential interior design including the ability to design and create projects using technical and creative skills in color and space planning. Proven experience with in-home consultative design service or related home furnishings and decor industry. Must be able to work holidays, evenings and weekends. Must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record and provide own transportation to and from customer’s homes.