This position leads the general accounting, review and analysis for Grainger Canada.
This role is based in Grainger Canada's Controllership office in Winnipeg, Canada.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead a team of 3-5 individuals, including selection/hiring, objective setting, performance management, coaching/development and training.
- Oversee the accounting for various general accounting areas, including all aspects of the monthly close process, to ensure all necessary entries are recorded and account balances are properly reconciled and supported.
- Analyze balance sheet and income statement accounts to identify variances and explain underlying business reasons for changes in activity.
- Clearly communicate explanations and support with respect to external consultant (audit) and internal management information requests.
- Evaluate continuous improvement opportunities and implement initiatives as needed to streamline and enhance processes and reduce costs.
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with internal and external business partners.
- Cross-train with and provide back up for other members of the GCAN Accounting team.
- Ensure that Company financial policies, procedures and controls are followed.
- Take appropriate steps to safeguard company assets and ensure that all financial books and records are maintained in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
- Ensure that financial controls and processes throughout the business are adequate to ensure the effectiveness of the internal control environment.
- Ensure that all monthly, quarterly and annual financial close activities, financial reporting, analysis and audit activities are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Willing to accept new and additional challenges as business needs change.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- CPA required
- Minimum 3 years of experience in public accounting, internal audit or related large corporate accounting/finance experience required; Previous supervisory experience is preferred
- Strong knowledge about the following is required: US GAAP, payroll accounting, AP & AR processes, account reconciliations, prepaids, capital assets
- Proven analytical skills and ability to recognize and explain unusual trends
- Independently problem-solve and be able to determine root cause and develop action plans to resolve issues
- Must be process oriented and be able to understand processes from start to finish
- Strong verbal and written communication skills - must be able to present clearly and concisely in front of management
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Must be able to shift focus easily and draw conclusions timely as business needs arise
- Agility and adherence to deadlines specially during tax filing and month end close periods
- SAP experience highly desired
- Requirement to work under tight time constraints with zero tolerance for missed deadlines, particularly with respect to deadlines and corporate financial reporting requirements. Extended hours may be required to achieve pre-determined deadlines.
- Attention to detail, control/audit mindset and high degree of accuracy.
- Self-starter able to work independently, solve problems, and achieve results while managing multiple priorities.
This position is responsible for making sure that financial statement accounts are accurately and completely stated and that key controls over financial reporting are designed and operating effectively. Any error, either in amount or classification, has a negative impact on the Company's reported results and could result in audit deficiencies.
Grainger strives to be an employer of choice, to attract and retain top diverse talent, and to provide a safe and positive work environment for all of its team members. As part of Grainger hiring process, pre-employment background checks will be required for all external candidates. Internal candidates will be required to undergo a pre-employment background check when they move from a non-driving role to a driving role and/or a director role and above position.
In accordance with Performance Excellence guidelines, team members are encouraged to apply for positions closely matching their experience/background and that are aligned with their Individual Development Plan. Grainger is committed to the principles and practices of employment equity. We invite all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and Aboriginal Peoples to apply for our career opportunities. Accommodations are available on request for all persons with disabilities taking part in the selection process.