HOMER has a newly created opportunity for a Senior Web Engineer to join our growing team! This role can work remotely in select US locations*, Toronto, Canada, or Latin America.
HOMER, a BEGiN brand, is the proven early learning program that provides the best educational start possible. We offer personalized, fun, and proven learning products for kids ages 2-8 to help build confidence, mastery, and a love of learning. We are deeply committed to our members and to their children, and we are building a creative and strategic team to develop a portfolio of early learning products that support learning everywhere.
Reporting to our Engineering Manager, Parent Activation, the Senior Web Engineer will help build parent facing web pages and tools to give them visibility into their child's learning experience. This role will be responsible for creating reliable, scalable, and high-performance web pages utilizing Next, Express, React and other Node-based SSR solutions..
- Make direct technical contributions (writing, debugging, reviewing and deploying code)
- Collaborate with other developers and team leads to create quality code across our logged in parent experience.
- Offer mentorship and code review to less experienced team members.
- Lead technical design of applications and participate in larger system design efforts.
- Participate in meetings with non-technical colleagues to explain technical constraints and objectives.
- Build automated tests and help maintain existing features.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience
- Sound Computer Science fundamentals
- Demonstrable working experience with Node-based frameworks and libraries.
- Experience developing web applicationsA firm grasp of HTML/CSS fundamentals.
- Experience with React and Next Frameworks
- Experience consuming data from web services.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or related field preferred
- Knowledge of full stack engineering, especially how scalable frontend and backend systems interoperate.
- Knowledge of deployment technologies in cloud hosted environments like AWS.
- Sound Computer Science fundamentals
- Familiarity or experience working with GraphQL APIs.
- Prior experience leading company projects
- CI/CD knowledge
We like people who:
- Collaborate effectively with stakeholders and other team members (product managers, UI/UX designers, engineers, animators, illustrators, data scientists and others) to define and refine requirements and then execute on them.
- Ability and willingness to switch programming languages as necessary.
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset and know how to balance speed to market and elegance in technical design.
- Are passionate about and thrive in a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others.
- Care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build a complete and long-term solution for the whole ecosystem.
- Want to be part of an organization with a transparent and agile environment where you can communicate freely and openly.
What you’ll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits.
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers.
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits.
- The chance to have a big impact, quickly.
- Help bring a love of reading and learning to children globally!
*Remote Locations: AL, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, MA, MD, MI, MO, NC, NE, NY, OR, PA, TN, TX, WA, WY.
Colorado Only: In compliance with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the salary range for this role is $120,000 to $130,000 + equity + benefits. HOMER considers several factors when extending an offer, including but not limited to, the role responsibilities, work experience, education/training, knowledge, skill, and ability. Other locations will commensurate with similar factors and geographic location.
HOMER is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
At HOMER, we are committed to building a diverse team of talented people who are passionate about creating educational content kids love. We believe in fostering a culture where productivity can flourish, one that is empathetic, respectful, and inclusive. At HOMER, we know that diversity, equity, and inclusion aren’t just an idea, a one-time initiative, or phrases to throw into a job post: they’re a daily practice and an ongoing conversation. We survey our team about inclusivity, run trainings on DEI topics, and have a committee to ensure we are all continuing to learn and grow.