Who we are
At Brazen, we believe everyone deserves a job they love, including you! We are a smart, scrappy, compassionate, and fun bunch, who genuinely love our jobs almost as much as we love our customers.
Brazen is a rapidly growing Venture Capital-backed SaaS startup. Our HQ is in Arlington, VA. Some of our roles are local to our DC office, but we have talented teams all over the map as we continue to build our safety-first hybrid remote and in-person culture, and we care more about what you might bring to our team and where you want to go in your career than where you are located.
If you're like us, you've read tons of job descriptions that look a whole lot like this one. But what we can't put in words is why we would love to hear from you. You've heard the term "living in the gray area," right? Well, a great fit for Brazen is someone who wants to live in technicolor. There's never a gray moment here! We are all entrepreneurs at heart, who believe that when you bring your full self to work, the possibilities are infinite.
If your interest is piqued, let's chat! We'd love to show you, rather than tell you, what makes us special, and find a place in our organization where you can thrive.
What we do
Our virtual event platform offers employers, universities, workforce development organizations, and associations an innovative way to connect, engage, and chat with their stakeholders. Organizations like CVS Health, KPMG, Raytheon, dozens of hospitals, school districts, colleges, and universities leverage our technology everyday to lower barriers for job seekers, increase engagement and improve communication and simply bring people together.
Who we're seeking
We are looking for a Senior Java Developer to join our team. As part of a growing, fast-paced startup, you will have an opportunity to work collaboratively with our product management, user experience, marketing, and customer service specialists to help extend and enrich our products. If you take pride in the quality of your work, enjoy collaborating and working on a team, and ignored your mother when she told you to stop programming and go to bed, then join us!
In this job you will
- Develop new features for the Brazen online events platform using Java, Spring, GWT, Akka and MySQL.
- Write code that enables users to create, market, manage and participate in online events hosted on the platform.
- Support our marketing and events management teams as needed.
- Learn, Learn, Learn!
- Mentor junior developers.
You're a strong fit for this role if you bring
- Minimum 5+ years Experience developing web applications with Java and relational databases.
- Experience in at least one other programming/scripting language
- Experience with Spring or other DI/IOC framework
- Experience with RESTful Webservices.
- Proficiency writing unit tests with Junit.
- Demonstrate comfort with UNIX command line activities
- Experience working in an Agile Scrum team.
Extra bonus points for (You will learn these if you don't already know them!)
- Experience working with Git version control system.
- Experience in a startup or similar work environment.
- Familiarity with agile development practices such a continuous integration and test-driven development.
- Knowledge of Object Relational Mapping (ORM) concepts and experience with Java Persistence API (JPA) and Spring data
- Experience with GWT.
- Experience with cloud deployed infrastructure (AWS or equivalent) and Infrastructure as Code.
- Experience with Ruby.
- Experience with the Akka framework.
- Want to know more? Meet our team and learn all about Brazen here: https://www.beforeyouapply.com/team/engineering-at-brazen
Brazen is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in hiring, in programming, and in all other aspects of the work we do. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are deeply connected to our mission, our success, and our culture. Some organizational priorities include:
- Developing policies, procedures and services that uplift and protect to prevent inequalities;
- Building relationships among staff, customers, and supporters that are reflective of our tech community
- Prioritizing the inclusion of diverse communities in internal leadership;
- Fostering a culture of open-mindedness, compassion, and inclusiveness;
- Creating and maintaining opportunities for engagement, education, and discourse related to issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion
Brazen is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Brazen are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Brazen will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Brazen encourages applicants of all ages