Come for the mission. Stay for the experience.
Let’s keep things simple: we are an unbelievably talented, hard-working, and compassionate team driving towards a mission that impacts a huge amount of people who use Healthcare benefits in the US.
Healthcare benefits are complex, underutilized and a mystery for most users in the USA. We’re removing that complexity. Our industry-changing technology solution puts a simplified benefits experience in the hands of users, saving them time and money.
Following an explosive 2019 (raising $30M in Series C funding, awards for Chicago’s Best Tech Startup and Chicago’s Best Place to Work, adding 50+ key team members and more), we’re continuing down the path of high growth and high impact.
We are currently seeking a Lead Software Engineer BackEnd to help us drive technical vision, architectural guidance and provide leadership for a team of BE engineers in an innovative and fast paced environment. As a Lead Engineer and Developer, you will participate in all aspects of the software development lifecycle which includes technical design, implementation, documentation, testing, deployment, and support of applications developed for our product needs.
You will enhance our SaaS solution, scale highly distributed systems, and continuously improve our engineering practices. You will get to work on the latest software practices and technologies such as microservices architecture, cloud design patterns, automated CI/CD pipeline, automated and orchestrated Dockerized delivery, and AWS platform. Above all, your work will impact people’s interactions with the healthcare system.
- Collaborate on architectural decisions and design best practices
- Design and implement new features into the HealthJoy platform
- Collaborate with engineering and product team members to improve quality and velocity
- Creating a scalable solution to serve our growing user base
- Build, coach, and grow the team, and strive to continually improve efficiency of how things are done
- 6+ years of experience designing, implementing, and supporting backend services in Python. Strong Python3 knowledge
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Communicate quickly and effectively; vertically and horizontally through the organization.
- Proven leadership abilities
- Strong knowledge of concurrent programming principles
- Knowledge of modern web-frameworks and their ecosystems
- Proficiency in data persistence technologies, good knowledge of SQL, and no-SQL. Experience with at least one RDBMS (preferably PostgreSQL)
- Experience with developing distributed system
- Understanding of RESTful APIs principles. Experience designing, building, and maintaining APIs
- Understanding principles of runtime isolation
- Proficiency in software components design and building surrounding infrastructure
- Strong knowledge of software test suites and frameworks
- Good knowledge of internet protocols
- Experience with source code versioning tools
- Will be a plus: experience with gRPC, Elasticsearch, FastAPI, Kubernetes
Work should be meaningful and rewarding.
HealthJoy offers a robust package of employee perks and benefits including competitive compensation, unlimited vacations, health insurance, English lessons with a native speaker and full or partial coverage of educational events.
During the pandemic situation we offer mental health support programs, personal psychological counseling and help with remote work setup.
We also enjoy each other's company over wellness activities, happy hours, volunteer events in our local communities, lunch and learns, and ‘friendship time’ pairings.
HealthJoy is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law.