The Washington Post is looking for an iOS Engineer to support our flagship apps engineering team. Under general supervision, you will perform technical analysis, design and development or enhancement of native iOS apps (written in Swift) and play an integral role in helping deliver increasingly smarter mobile apps to our users. You will participate in all facets of the agile development process and will have the opportunity to contribute to products that will be used by millions of people. We are looking for someone with serious iOS & Swift skills, strong interest in all things mobile, and a passion for delivering high-quality, rock-solid applications.
- Design and develop advanced applications for iOS and other Apple platforms
- Build a deep understanding of our use of Apple platform technologies
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define API contracts, design and ship new features.
- Design high-level mobile solutions to meet product requirements and following established development methodologies and standards.
- Understand the complexities of and help integrate different third-party SDKs
- Identify, troubleshoot, and solve complex problems
- Participate in agile software development practices and peer/code reviews.
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability and general reliability
- Stay on top of latest technologies/ mobile trends and recommend appropriate design solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, engineering or related technical field or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience with the iOS SDK required; prior experience in a similar role preferred.
- Strong grasp of Computer Science fundamentals
- Strong analytical, evaluation and problem-solving skills
- High level of proficiency in Swift with an understanding of code optimization and application performance. Some experience with Objective-C is a plus
- Experience working on and releasing one or more iOS apps in the Apple App Store
- Experience developing watchOS, tvOS, or macOS apps is a plus
- Experience with CocoaPods is a plus
- Familiarity with testing frameworks for iOS apps such as XCTest, XCUITest, OCMock, etc
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment with iOS apps
- Additional knowledge of RESTful services and other server-side principles is a plus
- Solid understanding of Version Control principles, preferably using Git and Pull Requests
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Excellent verbal/written communication and collaboration skills