Senior Data Engineer
DENVER, CO OR REMOTEENGINEERINGFULL-TIME PIE-ONEER Pie Insurance is an insurtech company tackling meaningful problems. At Pie, we work with small businesses using technology and innovation to improve how they access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. So, at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us. Today, all Pie-oneers are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. As a remote team member, you will be expected to be available for meetings with team members in other time zones and have access to reliable, high-speed internet. How You’ll Do It As a Senior Data Engineer with Pie, you will be a key member that will work directly with our data architect to define the future state of our data architecture. This role will work in data architecture, data analytics, ETL development, and data reporting. Success in this position will be establishing how data comes into and flows through the Pie insurance platform. This data will be used to help our organization quote customers based on best policy and prices for their workers compensation insurance.
The Day to Day
- Design and build data pipelines in Airflow, Snowflake, and Looker to support business reporting and analytics needs.
- Communicate with leadership, product owners, other technologists and users to create data strategies based on an understanding of business and technical priorities
- Break down complex problems into elegant solutions
- Work with outside data sources and APIs
- Oversee development teams in deploying and validating data strategies and understanding concerns such as provenance, discovery, entitlement and performance of data delivery
- Work with development engineers to track down defects
The Right Stuff
- A minimum of 5 years working in data as an engineer is preferred.
- Experience building data solutions for a company who uses data as a primary part of their business is required.
- Advanced experience in data warehouse and/or data analytics. Qualified candidates may also come from a strong database skill-set involved in analytics architecture.
- Advanced skills in writing complex SQL queries is required.
- Strong demonstrated knowledge in ETL/ELT platforms is strongly preferred.
- Exposure to one major SQL RDBMS or analytics database, such as Snowflake, Redshift, MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, SQL Server, etc., is required.
- Airflow, Snowflake, and Looker are our technology stack. Experience with these is preferred.
- Data and Business Intelligence knowledge is highly desirable.
- Competitive salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
- Generous parental leave
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie! That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience that you bring, along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges. We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following: Compensation Range for position: $130,000 - $178,000 Other Benefits: Each year Pie reviews Company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members. Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic. Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information. Our Achievements Pie Insurance raises an additional $118M in funding Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020 Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor Pie raises an additional $127M in funding