Babbel is driven by a mission: Everyone. Learning. Languages. This means building products that help people connect and communicate across cultures. Babbel, Babbel Travel and Babbel for Business focus on using a new language in the real world, in real situations, with real people. And it works: Studies with Yale University, City University of New York and Michigan State University prove that it gets users talking with confidence.
The key is a blend of humanity and technology. A team of linguistic experts hand-craft each of our courses, to provide content that is constantly adapted to our learners’ needs. Interactive content with videos and podcasts makes understanding a new language easy, because Babbel is for everyone. That’s why our team is as diverse as our content. From headquarters in Berlin and New York, 750 people from more than 60 nationalities represent the backgrounds, characteristics and perspectives that make all humans unique. Making a true connection with millions of paid subscribers across the globe is what makes Babbel the most profitable language learning app worldwide.
Babbel in Numbers:
- The #1 top-grossing language learning app globally
- Millions of active paying subscribers
- More than 60,000 lessons 14 languages hand-crafted by 150+ linguists
- More than 10,000 hours of learning content
- Over 70 learning podcast episodes and over 50 hours of video learning content
We are looking for an Engineering Manager for our Tech and Tools team!
The Tech and Tools team is responsible for Platform topics to provide services that are used generally by other services, and Tools to help other development teams work more efficiently.
In your role as Engineering Manager you will work closely with the team to prepare and deliver a wide range of technical initiatives as well as manage daily business topics and be the lead for the team.
In addition, you will help drive the evolution and security of the platform itself collaborating with a variety of stakeholders.
- Be the engineering lead for a cross-functional team of backend engineers
- Make sure team members are engaged and complement each other in achieving common goals autonomously
- Reinforce a MVP mindset, continuous improvements of team ways of working
- Manage dependencies and expectations, building trust with all stakeholders (other engineering teams, content creators, infrastructure team, b2b team), and delivering on commitments
- Collaborate closely with the technical product manager of the team but also other product managers, engineers, and other EMs to influence product strategy and drive the product development roadmap
- Attract, onboard, develop, and retain diverse talents to your team
- 3 years of experience leading and developing backend teams within an international, agile environment
- Passion about learning outcomes and people, not just technical excellence
- Proven experience in direct people management
- Customer-centric prioritization (customers are other product teams) and data-informed decision making
- Ability to collaborate with many other functions
- Comfortable giving and receiving actionable, constructive feedback
- Experience in creating and managing career development plans for engineers with diverse skill sets
- Experience in developing, releasing and scaling distributed applications on the cloud (AWS)
- Experience in monitoring and maintaining applications in a microservice landscape
- Deep exposure to scrum and/or other agile methodologies
Nice to have
- Familiarity with OKRs in a service-team-environment
- Experience with Jira and Confluence
- AWS certification
- Remote leadership experience (incl. pre-COVID 19)
- Prior work in startup environments
Come join us!
Make a real impact in the world in a meaningful way at a company that values its employees.
- We are committed to a bold mission: Everyone learning languages
- Diversity is our strength - we are a vibrant international company with people from over 60 different nationalities
- We’re a learning company - we provide opportunities for employees to level-up through our Babbel Academy and by attending conferences
- We have a lively startup atmosphere with family-friendly working hours
- We offer great company benefits e.g. a high-end company bike or BVG ticket to make your commute easier
Sounds good? We are already looking forward to hearing from you! Check out our jobs page, our blog, and our techblog for a fuller picture of #lifeatbabbel!
Questions about a career at Babbel? Get in touch with us here: [email protected]