NAL Research Corporation, located in Manassas, VA, provides military-grade Iridium satellite modems and tracking terminals and secure geolocation solutions for the defense, research, and commercial sectors. These products are used globally in a wide range of applications including asset tracking, search and rescue, remote sensing, and command/control for personnel, land, maritime, and airborne platforms.
NAL is seeking a candidate who has embedded Android experience with handheld, multimedia, smartphone, or tablet devices. The Embedded Android Engineer is expected to maintain and develop NAL’s Android-based embedded systems software and firmware. Our development process is highly iterative and often requires low-volume production of prototypes for internal product testing and customer pilots. You'll solve challenging problems on a daily basis and work with the latest in Satellite and PNT technologies.
You will be focused on firmware development for modem, tablet, and smartphone devices, including configuring the Android OS, interfacing device drivers to the Android HAL, and delivering high quality, robust product firmware. This position is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing team as we add value to our expanding product family.
The ideal candidate for this position is a self-manager, able to take direction from leadership and translate that into an effective plan of action.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Customize Android framework for use on mobile devices
- Excellence in C/C++/Java programming for low power mobile devices
- Design, develop, implement, debug and maintain embedded Android-based products
- Lead and participate in technical discussions across engineering and product teams
- Review product manuals and brochures for technical accuracy and participate in product definition activities such as feature analysis and system tradeoffs
- Keep up with current technology in the field through reading, self-study, and seminars
- Other duties and tasks may be assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field
- 5+ years of experience working in embedded systems
- 3+ years of experience with embedded Linux and/or Android
- Proficient in C and C++ and ability to develop clean, modular code
- Strong Experience in Android (AOSP) development on ARM-based platforms including configuration management, build, deployment, multimedia frameworks, and HAL layers
- Strong knowledge of Android Framework
- Proficient in developing and debugging Android for embedded systems
- Must be persistent, possess strong problem-solving skills, and be willing to work with others to find solutions that avoid project stalls
- Must be responsible, self-motivated, creative, have a solid work ethic, and have a desire to produce a quality product
- Balance quality, quantity, and complexity in work output
- Know how to iterate quickly without sacrificing your passion for quality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Android patching, field updates, and security hardening
- Android media frameworks/APIs (ALSA, V4L2)
- Android Radio Interface Layer (RIL)
- Android testing and validation methods
- Build server setup and administration
- Wireless technologies such as cellular and satellite modems, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth
- Debugging hardware (use of an oscilloscope, multimeter, logic analyzer, JTAG/SWD debug adapters)
- Experience with mobile-class SoC (e.g. Qualcomm Snapdragon)
- Experience with NXP i.MX6
- Experience in audio digital signal processing (DSP), echo cancellers, noise suppression, equalizers, limiters, etc
- Passion for mentorship and a strong desire to lead a technical team
- Familiarity or experience with Agile/Scrum methodology and practices
- Due to the nature of the work and the environment in which the work takes place, the candidate must be a U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain a security clearance.
Please submit a cover letter with salary expectations, along with a resume.
NAL Research Corporation offers a generous employee benefits package to eligible employees, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, disability, and a 401(k).
NAL Research Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, ethnicity/national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.