Summary of key functions:
- Site Reliability Engineer
- Technical Lead
- Knowledge Management
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the ICT Specialist (Senior Site Reliability Engineer) will work under Chief, Hybrid Cloud Computing Group and will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Site Reliability Engineer:
- Lead infrastructure projects to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency, including hands-on configuration of complex components.
- Proactively review processes and procedures for automation opportunities.
- Implement automation tools and frameworks (CI/CD pipelines).
- Optimize the organization computing architecture.
- Operate Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services cloud and on-prem infrastructure at data.
- Ensure operations are carried according to service management and security organization frameworks.
- Help to architect and build automated solutions, including infrastructure management and monitoring, new technology integrations and data center migrations.
- Provide technical expertise and act as Subject Matter Expert to solve complex problems on infrastructure activities.
- Participate in on-call rotations.
2. Technical Lead:
- Provide guidance to other team members on managing end-to-end availability and performance of mission critical services, on building automation to prevent problem recurrence, and on building automated responses for non-exceptional service conditions.
- Manage a team of technology experts in Infrastructure technologies.
- Manage prioritization of team tasks as per guidelines from management.
3. Knowledge Management:
- Continually explore, evaluate and recommend advanced technologies to provide higher quality service, scalability and modern architectural standards.
4. Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Impact of Results:
The result of work of the ICT Specialist (Senior Site Reliability Engineer) impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DPO (Department of Peace Operations)and Peace Keeping and Special Political Missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
* Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
* Candidates with no United Nations or UNOPS experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Telecommunications, Engineering, Statistics, or relevant field.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor's degree or evquivalent) in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Desirable: (The following certifications are optional. Candidates who do not have them are welcome to apply)
- VMware Certified Professional certifications.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure certifications.
- PRINCE2 certification.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems, preferably in an international environment is required.
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience with UNIX environments in complex and multilocation environments (e.g. Red Hat, HP-UX, Ubuntu, SUSE, etc) is required.
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience with virtualization and related technologies in complex and multilocation environments (e.g. VMware, VMware SRM, etc).
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience with Infrastructure as Code, preferably Terraform
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience with configuration management systems like Ansible
- Experience with working on cloud-based infrastructure, preferably Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS) is highly desirable.
- Experience with containerization in a production environment including container orchestration is desirable.
- Experience producing technical documentation to support projects and initiatives is desirable.
- Fluency in English (write, read, speak) is required;
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.