Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
The Monetization Area focuses on how to monetize the Duolingo learning app. We have developed a successful business model based on ads, subscriptions and in-app purchases, without charging users for learning content — staying true to our mission. We are currently responsible for 90% of the company's revenue. We work on growing our revenue primarily by adding more value to our Duolingo Plus subscription, improving subscriber conversion and retention, balancing our virtual currency economy and optimizing the programmatic ads displayed in the app.
As an Engineering Manager in Monetization, you will coordinate these efforts: determining which features and projects we should work on, creating roadmaps, reviewing technical specifications and tracking progress. By accelerating our revenue growth, you will play a meaningful role in our strategy to build a company for the long term.
- Manage a team of software engineers, including task planning and technical leadership.
- Own the overall planning, execution and success of projects that directly improve our top-line business metrics.
- Lead the development of new monetization features in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Collaborate with product teams across the company to find new imaginative opportunities to increase our revenue without harming the user experience.
- Identify best practices and tools to maximize our ability to build and maintain our monetization features and services.
- 2 years experience leading teams consisting of five or more engineers.
- B.A./B.S. in Computer Science or a related field.
- Relevant work experience, including industry experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in problem solving and technical innovation.
- People management skills, proven track record of mentoring and coaching team members.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA.
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Extensive engineering experience in fast-growing, consumer-facing, data-driven startups, ideally mobile app based.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or a related field.