We’re on a mission to reinvent 3D design for the 21st century.
To achieve this, we’re completely reimagining legacy computer-aided design (CAD) tools with an iconic, mobile-first product. Over the past two years of high-speed growth, our Apple Design Award-winning app has been regularly featured in Apple Keynotes and commercials, and demoed in retail stores around the world. But what we’re most proud of is the global user base that uses our product every day. We’re backed by top European VCs Point9 Capital and Creandum, focusing our $6M Series A on scaling our team across the board.
By joining engineering at Shapr3D, you'll get the chance to build a world class product - one that's already used by hundreds of thousands of design professionals across the globe. Hence, well on its way to disrupting a 30 year old CAD industry. Oh, and it's rather satisfying when you see your app featured on apple.com. Yes. That's right. Shapr3D is one of those apps.
Besides constructing an amazing application, we are also working hard at Shapr3D on building a world-class engineering organization. In our Engineering VP's words: “our focus is on making sure that all our teams are empowered and incentivized to make decisions independently. People aren’t afraid of taking risks, setting ambitious goals, and in some cases, failing. We know how to learn from our mistakes.” (Akos Kapui, Engineering VP). Read more about this and our engineering philosophy here.
We’re looking for an experienced Test Engineer to join our Testing and Release Team that is responsible for building an extensive automated test suite and the required infrastructure for validating and delivering releases to multiple platforms and millions of users.
How would you contribute to the mission?
- As we are releasing Shapr3D to new platforms this year (macOS and Windows), the stakes are getting higher for building a scalable testing infrastructure and automated test suit.
- The problems your team is expected to solve are some of the toughest problems in engineering. Our products support devices with various form factors, and its user interface is built on complex touch and pencil gestures. And on top of everything, we are committed to releasing updates to all customers every week.
- You will join a team of test engineers whose goal is to automate all release and regression testing and build the required test infrastructure. Your desire to build reliable automated tests and scalable test infrastructure will greatly help us succeed in our mission.
- We work in an agile environment with a strong focus on well-structured code, testing, and continuous integration. We do our best to build a sustainable code that enables high speed and high quality. Pragmatic decisions and approaches help us maintain a good balance between quality and speed.
A sneak peek into our stack...
- Existing automated tests are written in C++ and run in GoogleTest framework. Our continuous integration pipeline is running on Github Actions.
- Thousands of unit and integration tests and a handful of end-to-end tests are running in our CI pipeline.
- Our cross-platform CAD engine is written in standard C++17 which is used across all platforms. The UI and application logic of the iPadOS and macOS app are written in Swift, while C# is used widely on Windows.
- Our proprietary rendering engine uses Metal APIs on Apple devices while we use DirectX11 on Windows.
In an ideal world, you'll bring a bunch of these things to the table:
- Previous job experience as a senior test engineer or as a software engineer
- Depth of knowledge in a wide spectrum of test automation and test infrastructure
- Knowledge of modern C++, mobile development experience (ideally iOS) is a big plus
- Proven experience with writing high-quality test
And the following applies to you:
- Curiosity fuels your journey
- You are dedicated to building products that break the mould
- You like to take ownership of things and learn from your mistakes
- Quality code and very robust architectural decisions define your approach, but you can also move fast and build things with flexibility
- Users and data lie at the core of your technical decisions
- Users and the product come first. The team next.
What does a successful first 6 months look like at Shapr3D?
Solving problems in our domain requires an in-depth knowledge of computer architecture, operating systems, and computer science – but more importantly, you have to understand our product. The first couple of weeks of your onboarding will mainly focus on learning and understanding our practices, after which it will shift towards autonomy and efficiency. You’ll be guided and mentored by experienced engineers throughout the whole onboarding process.
Now let’s fast-forward 6 months into the future. Your team has designed and implemented the basics of test infrastructure that is used to run end-to-end tests to validate some non-functional requirements and tests for core functionality. You’ve had countless occasions where you had to make decisions on how to best solve a specific problem. You’ve also received numerous pushbacks and feedback from your teammates which eventually led to a better outcome. You’ve learned tons of new things during this period, and your work and contributions have inspired others to do the same.
What do we offer?
- A down-to-earth culture and an opportunity to scale this thing up together
- The chance to build a world-class product and learn from some of the best professionals in their field along the way
- Unconditional support for your professional development – be it reading a book or attending a course to grow your skills, it’s on the house
- Relocation support if you’re not from Hungary
- 100% sick leave payment
- A generous healthcare package with Medicover (upon passing your probation)
- An iPad Pro and an Ultimaker office 3D printer so you can play with the app
- A spacious office with a panoramic view of downtown Budapest*
- One of the best coffee machines in town and well-stocked office snacks (and a company Wolt account while we’re working remotely)
- Home office equipment to make the remote working period as comfortable as possible
*Our team is currently working remotely. We're very grateful to be able to continue our work throughout the pandemic.
If all this speaks to you and you’re up for reinventing 3D design for the 21st century, we should definitely talk! And don’t worry if you don’t tick every single box in the requirements. We’re always looking to hire for potential and the right mindset – so we'd still love to hear back from you.
***Please submit your CV in English***