This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
Sandia demonstrates its commitment to public safety in the national interest by requiring that all new hires attest to their vaccination status before commencing employment. The requirement also applies to those who are telecommuting and working virtually.
Any concerns about the ability to meet this requirement should be directed to HR Solutions at (505) 284-4700.
What Your Job Will Be Like
Are you looking for meaningful and impactful work that contributes to security, peace and freedom worldwide?
Sandia National Laboratories, the nation’s best-in-class science and engineering lab, develops sophisticated technologies that make an impact in the real world. We bring science and technology together to ensure global peace by addressing critical security concerns that if unchecked, place our nation, economy and quality of life at considerable risk.
Sandia is currently looking to hire an expert DevOps Engineer that is ready for a career where you know your work makes a difference. We want someone excited to apply their knowledge, experience and creativity while gaining opportunities to work with some of the country’s top minds at the forefront of research.
You will primarily be responsible for supporting and delivering production capabilities to various mission organizations that are integral to Sandia’s scientific, engineering, and high-performance computing environment. You will work on a multidisciplinary team applying agile pairing and swarming methodologies to build, test and deploy automation of high-quality software systems.
- Deploying scientific software tools and libraries atop a plethora of architectures and environments that span high-performance computing, cloud, build farm, and end-user analysis platforms
- Developing infrastructure to assist with building, testing, and deploying computational simulation and scientific analysis software
- Building interfaces between users and tools to facilitate requirements by helping to minimize impact to customers
- Maintaining all products and attempt to predict systemic issues to ensure their availability
- Work independently, pair program, or swarm as a Scrum team to build highly balanced solutions that support many scientific software development teams and their analysts
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor's degree in relevant technical field plus four or more years of software design/development experience; or master's degree in relevant technical field plus two (2) or more years’ software/development experience; or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- 2+ years of DevOps experience
- Experience with at least one of the desired qualifications
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q level clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with Linux (3+ years) including system administration, software development targeting the Linux ecosystem, and/or using Linux for computational simulation.
- Software development experience (5+ years) with the classic and modern high-performance computing development stack (i.e., C/C++, Python, Fortran, CMake, Bash)
- Software development experiences that use practices (e.g., test-driven development) and adherence to quality metrics (e.g., branch coverage)
- Knowledge of SOLID code development principles
- Experience with modern DevOps infrastructure and practices (e.g., Git, CI/CD, GitLab and its workflows, Jenkins, VMs and containers, correctness testing including static, coverage, and memory analysis)
About Our Team
The Scientific Applications and User Support Department provides capabilities and in-depth support for a broad range of scientific/engineering computing, including high performance computing and visualization. The department provides user environments, expertise and direct support to users, application-level software and tools, while also partnering with application communities to develop and support scientific/engineering computing solutions. The department also partners with other organizations to provide expert level Agile coaching including scrum mastering services.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.