How would you like to join a group of highly efficient, increasingly dynamic and ever-growing software professionals as part of the Digital Platforms team? We are responsible for all aspects of consumer-facing software solutions for Starz. With a small team and a startup-feel, the breadth of opportunity within this technology organization is vast and continually growing. From browsers and mobile devices, websites and native apps, game consoles and home media streamers – our teams are working on it all. We do full vertical slice product and software development – from UX and design to client and backend services development. We’re committed to staying current, working within modern technologies and investing in our people through training and team development. If you are a software professional who is excited about working in the entertainment industry and making a difference to Starz subscribers then this is the team for you.
As a senior software developer you will be a key contributor to one or more highly interactive product teams. You’ll spend your time meeting with your leadership team, gathering and understanding product requirements, proposing solutions, presenting ideas and building elegant software. You’ll work with professionals from within the team (UX, Client Developers, and Application Engineers) and in partner organizations (Quality Assurance, Environment Support) to ensure that your solutions are high quality and are compatible within the existing Starz infrastructure.
If you’re a rugged individualist who can analyze, create and enhance compelling, flexible and scalable products then this is the place for you.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create, build and maintain software solutions using a variety of modern technologies.
- Contribute to the design, architecture and final implementation of Starz’s and Lionsgate’s TVE platforms.
- Support the expansion of the STARZPLAY international product.
- Invent flexible solutions to challenging technical problems that are adaptable and scalable to future business needs.
- Participate in code reviews with staff as necessary to ensure a high quality, performant product.
- Collaborate with the broader Digital Platforms team including the leadership team, quality assurance professionals, designers, business analysts and other software engineers in an open, creative environment.
- Be a subject matter expert for our client applications, backend services and business.
- Contribute to all aspects of the software creation process:
- Software architecture and design
- Object-oriented development
- Unit testing/test-driven development
- Integration testing
- Post-deployment production support and troubleshooting
- Enthusiastically pursue additional training and understanding of new technologies that may be relevant to the Digital Platforms team. Advise management on strategies for use of new technologies.
- Take troubleshooting and debugging to the next level by implementing tools/products alongside the operations and support teams.
- Implement utilities to support future development on the software, customer/business activities and maintenance of the production environment.
- Self-manage smaller projects in partnership with our UX and Client Development Teams by providing technical leadership.
- Design solutions (verses only complete assigned tickets and maintenance tasks).
- Conquer more complicated development tasks– contribute to > 75% of the very difficult assignments.
- Work collaboratively with Principal Architects on new concepts and architecture.
- Mentor other developers/application engineers in methodologies, design patterns, software architecture.
- Demonstrate and commonly use more advanced algorithms and designs to simplify and improve system performance or maintainability.
- Work/communicate with offshore resources.
Systems & Applications
Thorough understanding and first hand use of modern development tools/code versioning tools including: JIRA, GIT, Bamboo, etc.
Knowledge and consumer level experience with at least a few of the following devices expected: Internet browsers (Chrome, IE, Firefox, etc), Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, TV), Android devices, Xbox One, PlayStation 3/4, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, Fire TV.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or similar discipline is preferred
· 7+ years experience in an enterprise or consumer software development environment.
· 3+ years agile software development experience.
· High degree of competency in core software development concepts.
· Strong knowledge of .NET web framework
· Strong understanding of object-oriented programming
· Strong knowledge of the ecosystem, including various adjunct technologies
· Strong knowledge of cloud environments (Amazon, Google, Azure)
- Expert level programming skills creating internet-scale web services using C#/VB.Net, ASP.NET, MVC, WebApi, Entity Framework, Java, JPA, Spring, and AWS Services like DynamoDB, ElastiCache, Elastic Beanstalk, etc.
· Experience with modern frameworks and design patterns, minimum five years’ experience with a MVC paradigm.
· Experience with at least one modern, enterprise level database system (Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL). Experience with Cassandra a plus
· Must possess excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills which will be used to diagnose, debug and solve issues.
· Ability to write clean, readable, maintainable code
· Experience working within video delivery/streaming technologies a plus.
· Experience working with analytics platforms a plus.
· Experience working with Splunk a plus.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
About the Company
Starz (http://www.starz.com), a Lionsgate company (NYSE: LGF.A, LGF.B), is a leading global media and entertainment company that produces and distributes premium streaming content to worldwide audiences across subscription television platforms. Starz is home to the flagship domestic STARZ® brand, STARZ ENCORE, 17 premium pay TV channels and the associated on-demand and online services, including the highly rated STARZ app. With the launch of the STARZPLAY international premium streaming platform and STARZ PLAY Arabia, Starz is expanding its global footprint in a growing number of territories. Sold through multichannel video distributors, including cable operators, satellite television providers, telecommunications companies, and other online and digital platforms, Starz offers subscribers more than 7,500 distinct premium television episodes and feature films, including STARZ Original series, first-run movies and other popular programming.
Business Unit Overview
With the Company aligning its studio operations behind the growth of its streaming business, Starz has become one of the pre-eminent modern premium global streaming platforms. Offering subscribers more than 7.500 television episodes, including Starz original series and provocative documentaries, along with a broad catalogue of first-run movies, Starz is taking the lead in delivering relatable premium content that makes it the platform of choice among a wide spectrum of female, African-American and other historically underserved audiences. Its focused brand, premium content and freedom from legacy relationships position Starz at the forefront of the new bundles emerging throughout the media ecosystem, a compelling value proposition to complement virtually every kind of subscription platform.
Distinguished by its successful and focused content strategy, top programming, exceptional curation and speed to market, Starz has quickly scaled its platform to become one of the most widely distributed and fastest-growing OTT services in the world, with OTT subscribers making up more than half of its global subscriber base. The Starzplay International premium subscription service offers a “best of global SVOD” content portfolio in more than 50 countries throughout Europe, Latin America, Canada, Japan and India through a bespoke and expanding network of distribution partners. The Starzplay Arabia joint venture is one of the leading SVOD operators in the fast-growing Middle East and North Africa region. The proprietary and highly-rated Starz app, a proven hit with U.S. audiences, continues to roll out internationally.
- Full Coverage – Medical, Vision, and Dental
- Annual discretionary bonus and merit increase
- Work/Life Balance – generous sick days, vacation days, holidays, and Impact Day
- 401(k) company matching
- Tuition Reimbursement (up to graduate degree)
$122,400 – $149,300
Lionsgate is an equal employment opportunity employer. All employees and applicants are evaluated on the basis of their qualifications, consistent with applicable state and federal laws. In addition, Lionsgate will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Lionsgate will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and federal law.