SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (SATELLITE NETWORK)
This position entails creating software that is used to design, develop, launch and operate a low latency, high capacity broadband network. You will engage with other SpaceX engineers to discover the needs of the missions and code highly reliable software which turns the mission into reality. You will be responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software you create, including development, testing, and support.
The success of SpaceX’s satellite internet business depends on the quality of the software that you and your team produce. That includes reliability, fault tolerance, throughput, security and user experience.
You are the engineer that other engineers can count on; you are technical, you attack every problem with enthusiasm; you remove hurdles. You are a self-starter, team player, have the hunger to venture into unknown areas and code and make the system work.
- Reliability of the production network with strong emphasis on scalable automation and telemetry systems
- Design and implement highly available, fault-tolerant network automation and monitoring systems that operates for long periods of time with minimal maintenance at scale
- Design and implement data collection and ingestion pipeline to empower network reliability and operation tools (network telemetry, failure detection, alert generation, mitigation services, network visualization)
- Strong operational and network reliability role focused on building and maintaining the world’s most robust, performant and automated broadband network
- Participate in architecture, design, and code reviews
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints
- Linux systems engineering and administration
- Understanding of service provider networks (BGP, MPLS, ISIS, DDoS)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline
- 1+ years of experience in software and reliability engineering
- 1+ years experience with Linux systems engineering and administration
- Development experience in C++, Python or Go
- Experience with networking protocols, their application and traffic types: i.e. TCP/IPv4/IPv6, gaming, voice, video, broadcast, streaming
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Developed, debugged and deployed software that has been used in real world applications/projects
- Experience with security issues associated with distributed systems and large-scale consumer internet services
- Strong understanding of Docker and Kubernetes, or similar technologies
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization and unit testing
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical skills and engineering fundamentals
- Strong networking knowledge of TCP/IP
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Willingness to work extended hours and weekends when needed to meet critical deadlines
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.