Canonical is building a new generation of Ubuntu-based Docker images to simplify open source application deployment across the world. These container images will be free to use with long term security commitments, and engineered for performance, security and usability. As with Ubuntu, we will work in the open and welcome community participation.
This role is to join the team responsible for this initiative, to design and build images, tools, technology, and community processes. This is an opportunity for an exceptional engineer who is passionate about open source quality, community, containers, devops and cloud. As a part of this team you will combine software development skills with community design and interaction, creating the tools and pipelines needed to support the work. You will work closely with multiple teams as well as world-class cloud partners.
You need to have experience building and using Docker images on Ubuntu. You should be familiar with the state of the art in container design, including minimal images. Knowledge of distroless and buildpacks will be valuable. You should also be familiar with Kubernetes and CI/CD pipelines for container ops. You should be a professional software engineer and familiar with Python or Golang.
Applicants should be passionate about the future of container technology, distributed systems, and open source. Canonical is a globally distributed team of engineers who share that passion. Engineers who thrive at Canonical are mindful of open source community dynamics, and equally aware of the needs of large enterprise customers.
What you’ll do
- Create user experience and engineering standards for Ubuntu-based Docker images
- Design and build a wide range of robust, scalable, usable containers
- Design and build automated, highly reliable container build, testing and publication pipelines
- Implement pipelines for security maintenance and support of containers
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Write high quality code to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
- Engage with the open source community on a daily basis, including them deeply in our processes
- Engage professionally with customers and commercial partners to tell the story of this work
- Work from home with global travel up to 15% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You have experience working with Linux containers
- You have experience with Kubernetes on Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or Amazon Web Services
- You have experience in Python or Golang software development on Linux
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
What Canonical Offers
- Learning and professional development, with annual budget
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Work remotely with a talented, distributed, global team
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.