This is a world-class devops engineering management challenge, bringing together software engineering and product development, operations management, and team leadership in a single high-value role.
Not only does this team support Canonical and Ubuntu operations, we also help shape Canonical’s managed application services, raising the bar on devops and cloud-native operations as well as taking infra-as-code to the next level. We are blazing a trail to next-generation model-driven operations. We aim not only to automate every process that underpins our business, we want to make that automation available as open source in composable packages which others can use to drive their own operations.
We work across the full stack, from bare metal to Kubernetes, including cloud and virtualisation. We also work across the full range of infrastructure, from public cloud to private cloud and edge. You will need to be a Linux and operations expert, as well as a great manager capable of leading a high-performance team, to excel in this role.
If you have an affinity for open source development and a passion for operations, software engineering, and new technology, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
Summary of role and responsibilities
The IS team at Canonical runs the services used by over 60 million Ubuntu users. We automate all of Canonical’s production services with model-driven operations techniques and technology. We are part of Canonical’s effort to raise the bar on ops technology, encapsulating real-world operational knowledge into reusable and composable software operations packages. We use our real-life operational experiences to contribute to product improvements.
From Kubernetes to the kernel and everything in-between, you’ll be working with the latest technology in a fast-paced engineering environment. As an SRE Manager you will be responsible for the operations engineers in your time zone. This includes customer service management, managed services operations and consistent product improvement engineering. Collaboration with internal customers, product engineering, and development groups is critical to success.
As an Engineering Manager in devops you will:
- Lead your team in daily agile devops practices
- Optimise the quality and velocity of both development and operations
- Mentor engineers to improve their skills
- Identify and measure team health indicators
- Implement structured engineering and operations processes
- Ensure proper team focus on priorities, milestones, and deliverables
- Work to meet service level agreements with customer deployments around the globe
- Deliver quality managed services in a consistent, timely manner
- Represent the IS team to stakeholders, customers, and internal teams
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelors (or equivalent) Degree level education in a technology field
- Proven experience of software delivery using Python, Go, C, C++, or Java
- Proven experience managing devops teams for SAAS or similar offerings
- Understanding of testing methodologies and maintainable code quality
- Experience with Ubuntu system administration
- Experience with agile software development methodologies
- Experience working in and managing distributed teams
- Technical aptitude for understanding complex distributed systems
- Experience with cloud topologies and technologies
- Ability to travel to global company events 10-15% of the time
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu — the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services help businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
- Learning and development
- Competitive salary
- Recognition rewards
- Priority Pass for travel
- Remote work-from-anywhere policy
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.