About the role
We are looking for Site Reliability Engineers based in Europe to join our new Customer Reliability Engineering (CRE) team. As part of the team you will have responsibility for the availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning of our customers’ applications and infrastructure. We are building a remote-first team across multiple time zones with the goal of eventually enabling a follow-the-sun work schedule.
- Be part of a fully remote team across multiple continents and time zones
- Regularly engage with customers to consult and share information
- Develop simple, sustainable, and repeatable solutions and processes
- Participate in your team’s effort to continuously improve our customers’ production environments
- Own your team’s tech and tools stack and contribute to the relevant open-source projects
- Design, analyse, and troubleshoot large-scale distributed systems
- Participate in your team’s on-call rotation
- Create and refine documentation and processes
- Automate almost all the things
- Provide ideas for future roadmap items, based on customer, operational, and/or organisational needs
- Learn and share by being part of the Cloud Native community through open-source tooling and processes, writing blog posts, and giving meetup or conference talks
If you are selected for this role and come to work for us on an employee basis, you can count on the following:
- A competitive compensation package
- Possibility for employee ownership and equity based compensation
- 25 days of paid leave annually
- Company-wide mental health days off
- ‘No Meeting’ Wednesdays
- Access to leadership development programmes, coaching and mentoring
- Access to our in-house psychologists
What does it take?
Please make sure you meet these requirements before applying, as we will be checking for all of them in our hiring process.
- A strong engineering or operations background, and the commitment to develop continuously in both disciplines
- At least 3 years experience working in a related field
- A strong understanding and knowledge of the following:
- — Kubernetes API, core principles and components
- — Linux networking and security related to containers
- — Distributed systems and common distributed system failure modes
- Proven production experience with at least one of the following per-line:
- — Common CI/CD systems such as Github Action, Jenkins, Gitlab CI, etc.
- — Major cloud service providers such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or Microsoft Azure
- — Modern infrastructure automation or configuration management system such as Terraform, Puppet, Ansible, Saltstack, or Chef
- — Container platforms such as Kubernetes
- — Programming languages such as Go, Python, Rust, C, or equivalent
- Ability to contribute to polyglot code bases
- Experience working with distributed architectures, e.g. microservices or service-oriented architectures
- Experience operating and maintaining production systems on Linux in a public cloud
- Can work effectively in a globally distributed team
- An urge to collaborate and communicate asynchronously
- An analytical mind; debugging and problem solving skills are paramount
- Attention to detail and excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work on your own as well as part of a team
- Flexibility to learn from and work with different technical environments and teams Comfortable with working on-call (as part of a regular 24×7 schedule)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math, or a relevant field
- Experience being part of an on-call schedule
- Experience working 100% remotely
- Experience implementing monitoring solutions
- Operations experience with a production user-facing application
- Have developed a Kubernetes controller, operator, or other platform component
- A background in writing reliable software and/or automation tooling
The selection process
- CV sift based on our core requirements for this role (+ optional call with the recruiter)
- Skills Assessment: You will be asked to complete online abstract reasoning aptitude tests.
- Tech Challenge: You will receive instructions for a technical assessment, which will be evaluated by one of our current CRE team members.
- Personality Profile Assessment: You will complete an online personality assessment and undertake an interview based on your profile via Google Hangouts.
- Final Behavioural and Situational Interview with two members of our engineering team.
About the team
We’re a new team with big ambitions, and to help us deliver on our lofty goals, we have the following values to help keep us on course:
- Do the right thing; blameless culture, be fair and do the right thing, and always be the change you seek
- Assume good intentions; always have good intentions, show integrity, and maintain levelheadedness
- Tireless generosity; always be generous to your peers, and collaborate whenever possible
- Communicate endlessly; communicate as much as possible, be straightforward as possible and avoid jargon and weasel words whenever possible, and always be information seeking
- Learn from reflection; working together to continually improve what we do, take time to reflect and learn from our actions/outcomes and to understand others points of view
Being as distributed remote-first team, it’s important to develop habits that bring us together and force us to interact with each other, encourage us to collaborate, and generally just brings us closer together. To achieve this we have regular events such as:
- Weekly Virtual-Coffee (social event, non-work discussions)
- Monthly Coding Katas (group coding exercises for learning)
- Monthly Team drinks (all drinks are welcome, teas, juices, alcohol, caffeinated, non-alcoholic)
- Show & Tell sessions (ad-hoc technical or hobby related informal presentations)
- Monthly Games Night (social event, e.g. Tetri.io, A Fake Artist Goes to New York, Among Us, etc)
And we’re always looking for more things we can do to facilitate this, so if you join the team and have some ideas about this, you can help us expand this list.
We are closing this advert on 31 January 2021. Any applications following this date will not be considered.