Defiant is a small, dynamic, fast-growing, and profitable company with loyal customers who love our products and services. We are the global leader in WordPress security, protecting over 3 million websites.
In this challenging and rewarding role, the Security Operations Engineer will secure the network systems, applications and data for a fast-paced organization with numerous high traffic systems. You’ll contribute to the design, maintenance, and monitoring of numerous systems contributing to the success of our organization. From intrusion detection to attack prevention, this role offers the opportunity to be on the cutting edge of information security.
Are you excited about working for a technology company that is securing the web? Are you looking for full-time, flexible hours* working remotely from anywhere in the world? If so, this may be your dream job!
*Required core hours of 10am – 1pm Pacific Time
The annual salary is $100,000 – $120,000 US, based on experience.
You’ll work with a talented and highly-motivated team that is friendly, fast-moving, self-managing, and highly capable with a sense of humor. Our team’s family time is important; we won’t typically require long hours when we can avoid it, which is almost always. Our entire team works remotely using Slack for casual interaction, so you can live practically anywhere in the World if you have an Internet connection. There’s no micro-management here—we trust that you will see tasks through to completion and communicate with your fellow team members when needed or ask for help when needed.
At Defiant, ‘trust’ is the attribute we value most highly among our team members. We need to know that you can grab a task, communicate clearly with stakeholders, and see the task to completion with superb attention to detail.
We use apps like Slack, FogBugz, GitHub, and Google Apps for our workflow.
Applicants need the following:
- At least 5 years of experience working in operations with a solid and complete foundational knowledge of operations.
- To be nimble, come up with creative solutions and have a mature approach to operations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Team player with a positive attitude in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong proficiency in written and spoken English.
The specific skills we require for this position are:
- AWS – VPC, Security Groups, Network ACLs, Athena, Redshift – 2 yrs
- ELK OSS – Alerting, Log Consolidation & Alerting – 2 yrs
- Wazuh – ongoing tuning of rules, monitoring – 2 yrs
- Linux Administration – 5+ Years – Debian Preferred
- Ansible – 3 Yrs
- Bash Shell scripting – 3+ Years
- SQL – 5+ Years
- DB Administration – 3+ Years
- Python or familiarity with at least one programming language – Good to Have.
- AWSCLI 2+ Years
- Assist with network administration and security, onboarding & offboarding contractors/employees, maintaining operations and security documentation.
Nice to haves:
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate or Professional
- AWS Certified Security Specialist
- Incident response handling
- Familiarity with PCI, GDPR, CCPA compliance NIST Cybersecurity framework
Our Application Process
We ask all applicants to respond to a set of assessment questions as part of the initial application. We review all applications submitted and respond to all candidates usually within a week. All interviews are done remotely with no travel involved.
All positions require a trial period of approximately 3 weeks with a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week. You will be paid for this short-term contract, and it will be used to evaluate whether both parties want to pursue an ongoing, regular employment relationship.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background check. The results of the background check are considered as they relate to the position and do not automatically disqualify someone from an offer of employment with the company.
- Full time telecommuting and flexible working hours, with a company that has been 100% remote for over 8 years.
- 100% employee premium and 50% of dependent premium paid by company for premier- level medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 21 days PTO per year to start.
- 401(k) with a 4% Safe Harbor company match that is 100% vested immediately.
- Latest in laptop and workstation technology.
- Fitness stipend for a local gym membership or home fitness equipment.
- Paid training and study time for work-related training and certifications.
- College tuition reimbursement.
Diversity at Defiant
We value diversity and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, political ideology, economic status, parental status, or any other non-performance-related status.