Dusty Robotics is a construction robotics company that creates robot-powered tools for the modern construction workforce.
Founded by second-time robotics entrepreneurs and staffed by experienced engineers, Dusty is dedicated to creating robots that work side-by-side with people to create value, leveraging our experience building and deploying robots at scale.
What we’re building
Dusty’s FieldPrinter is a mobile printer-on-wheels that prints building floorplans (in CAD format) full-size on the concrete floor of a construction site. Our robot prints lines, text, and points with 1 mm accuracy, enabling builders to construct walls and fixtures on top of our layout with zero mistakes:
What you’ll do Would you like to use your robotics expertise to develop robots that will change how buildings get built? Are you up for the challenge of making robots navigate with extremely high precision on semi-controlled construction sites?
Our ideal candidate has 5+ years of experience designing navigation systems for mobile robots in production. You are well-versed in path planning, sensor fusion, obstacle avoidance, and control systems and can use your experience to choose architectures for deploying them in production systems.
In this job, you will get to:
- Lead the development of the robot’s navigation system
- Solve challenging problems of navigating both at high precision in close quarters, over large distances, and over optimized layout paths
- Select, evaluate, and integrate a suite of onboard sensors to recognize and avoid obstacles and cliffs
- Deploy your code on our production robots and see customers using your solutions
- Develop a system that works so well it can be readily used by construction workers
- Work closely with the rest of our engineering team to design a system that exceeds our customers’ expectations
- Be part of a growing, successful startup with strong customer pull for our product
- 5+ years experience developing robotics software for production robots (e.g. sidewalk delivery, robot vacuums, self-driving cars)
- Experience in using sensors such as 3D cameras, IMU, and LiDAR and sensors for obstacle and cliff avoidance
- Expertise with planners and robot navigation
- Experience in optimization and search algorithms
- PhD or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Robotics, or related field
Why You Should Join
In joining our team, you will become an important part of a small and fast-growing company. We are daring to accomplish something big, and you are a critical part of our success. We are deeply committed to our mission, and we believe in removing roadblocks that distract us from reaching our goals.
To that end, we offer an unlimited vacation policy, reasonable work hours, and flexible schedules. We know that our best work happens when we feel well-rested and capable of focusing all our energy on making Dusty successful.
Strong, effective teams are composed of people with diverse backgrounds and experiences who can bring a variety of perspectives to their work. We actively encourage applications from a diverse pool, including those from historically under-represented groups such as women, people of color, people who identify LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and immigrants.
Our Code of Conduct
Dusty Robotics exists to serve a wide variety of customers from all walks of life. We believe that our mission is best served in an environment that is friendly, safe, accepting, and free of intimidation or harassment. We do not tolerate abusive behavior.
Where you’ll work
Dusty’s offices are located in Mountain View, CA about 1 mile from the downtown Castro Street area. This position is full-time in the office, with occasional trips to construction sites. Unfortunately we cannot sponsor work visas at this time; you must have authorization to work in the US.