Senior Backend Engineer (Python/Django)
at Financial Technology Partners San Francisco
Senior Backend Engineer (Python/Django)
Financial Technology Partners (FT Partners) is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to improve, refactor and extend our web app in collaboration with our small but growing engineering team. Our stack is Python/Django, Django Rest Framework, AWS, RDS, Redis, Vue/Vuex, and Node. We’re looking for someone who has experience, passion and diligence in implementing a stable, clean, readable, maintainable Python/Django codebase and supporting infrastructure.
About FT Partners Engineering
Our primary purpose as an engineering team at FT Partners is to build the (web-based) operating system that the company runs on, as well as its data infrastructure. This is particularly exciting given the company’s focus on research, data and technology, and the large impact our small team can make when our tooling contributes to the success of a huge high-profile deals. High expectations are placed on the engineering team, but we are also afforded substantial autonomy and context to provide real solutions to investment banking operations and data challenges. Our philosophy is to continually simplify our system while providing increasingly powerful features. We are committed to constant research of tools and approaches that provide more elegant solutions than our previous iterations. In places, our application of technology will be truly unique, but it will be built atop a modern high-quality standards-based foundation.
- Build new functionality, models and APIs using Django Rest Framework
- Audit and refactor older parts of the codebase
- Implement unit and integration tests for stability and continuous delivery
- Assist with dependency versioning and security warnings
- Continuously audit and improve security. Keep the system as simple as needed in order to account for the security and stability of every aspect
- Collaborate with engineering on database infrastructure, security and efficiency
- Contribute to team task visibility through participation in our ticket tracking system, daily standups and sprint planning.
- Write code that is easy for other engineers to understand and expand on, through technology/library choices, code style (readability matters), and documentation
- 5+ years as a Software Engineer in a modern web-app engineering environment (APIs, SPAs, CI/CD, Cloud infrastructure, Tests, Git, Agile)
- At least 2 of those years working primarily with Django (and preferably DRF)
- You are collaborative, you recognize that as an engineering team (especially a small one) we succeed together, and we fail together.
- You are comfortable asking for help, context and ideas, and you are happy to provide help, context and ideas to your team.
- You keep looking into new ways to do things and are willing to replace your own previous solutions in favor of new standards that become available
- You have a healthy fear of introducing complexity into the system
- You are self-motivated in contributing to the underappreciated aspects of a stable system like test coverage and documentation
Nice to haves
- Startup experience and comfort wearing multiple hats
- Experience with large databases and task queues
- Any DevOps experience a plus
Benefits of this role
- Opportunity to champion and implement major backend infrastructure decisions for a growing team
- Our offices around the world are the direct consumers of the digital products we build, so you’ll have direct feedback on the impact of your work
- Team culture that values training, social events, and an international and diverse environment
- Competitive pay, stellar health benefits, 401k, and unlimited vacation days policy
A note on COVID-19
FT Partners has been dedicated to protecting the health of its employees. We implemented a company-wide work-from-home policy on March 7th, 10 days before San Francisco issued an official shelter in place order. As offices open back up, we will continue to take above-average precautions. Under normal circumstances, this role will be a full-time role at our San Francisco office.
We are only accepting candidates who are currently able to work in the USA without work authorization restrictions.