Our Next Senior Backend Engineer
As Knotch’s next Senior Backend Engineer, you will work alongside a team of backend engineers on various internal and external APIs. You’ll construct and maintain these APIs as part of new features and new products, developed within an agile framework and in an environment that believes in automated testing and a strong CI/CD pipeline. Your empathy and relentlessness are key traits that will help you remain resilient and connected to your team in a fast-paced environment like ours. Your work will directly impact our products and help Knotch scale as a company. You will work closely every day with your Backend API Team and report directly to our Lead Backend Engineer, Haiz Oppenheimer.
How you’ll add value to Knotch
- Write elegant and expressive Ruby for critical backend services and APIs.
- Build and ship product features to deliver outstanding value to customers.
- Coordinate with members of the Front-end, Data, and QA teams to stage and release complex technical initiatives.
- Identify opportunities to improve our application performance and optimize database queries and modeling.
- Re-architect legacy systems and collaborate with the whole API team to plan and execute initiatives to improve application quality.
- Review other engineers’ pull requests and provide constructive technical feedback, guidance, and mentoring as appropriate.
- Write strategic unit and integration tests to improve overall test coverage.
- You have 4+ years experience writing production web applications, preferably in Ruby.
- You are team-oriented, and you value empathetic communication and collaboration.
- You have designed APIs according to proper RESTful conventions. Experience with GraphQL is a plus.
- You have written SQL with aggregate functions and also worked with an ORM such as ActiveRecord or Sequel.
- You appreciate the merits of both object-oriented and functional programming, and approach architecture from a practical solution-oriented perspective.
- You hold strong but flexible opinions about best practices in software engineering, and believe in investing time and energy into continuous improvement.
- You have built complex web applications and leveraged patterns beyond simple models, views, and controllers.
- You ask a lot of questions and value exploring healthy creative tensions within an organization, knowing it improves outcomes. You are comfortable working in close proximity to unanswered questions.
We also appreciate but don’t require
- Cloud architectures, particularly in AWS.
- Docker and containerization
- Devops and CI/CD pipelines
- Redis and Sidekiq
- Event-driven architecture
- Elixir and Phoenix