The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way an industry works by leveraging technology and data to build the best products possible. Even with our significant growth, we operate in small teams that are given ownership over projects and results. We’ve found that the people closest to the problems are the best at solving them.
For more information on engineering at Root, see https://eng.joinroot.com/.
We’re scaling rapidly, and we recently launched a $6B IPO:
Our team excels at delivering software to solve the problems in front of us at Root: presently, a suite of world-class mobile, web, and server-based products obsessed with the customer experience. We’ve shaped our team and process around this; we know that constant iteration and experimentation produce the best results.
We are growing and are recruiting for an Engineering Manager for our Mobile Telematics team, which is responsible for how we gather telematics data natively from mobile devices. This team is at the core of the methods we use to price auto insurance and much more.
Engineering Managers at Root are responsible for both technical and managerial leadership of their teams. Managers are often our most vital individual contributors, and we expect them to meet or exceed all of the technical and non-technical expectations of a Senior Software Engineer.
We divide the areas of responsibility for engineering managers into three major areas:
Technical: The skills and knowledge that make up an engineer’s basic problem-solving toolbox.
Planning and Execution: The ability to plan and execute assigned work beyond basic technical solutions.
Working with Others: The ability to work effectively with other engineers and people in other functions.
Scope of Impact Team/Initiative/Company
What we look for in a Mobile Telematics Engineering Manager:
- Deep understanding of mobile development, preferably either iOS native development (Swift/Objective-C) or Android native development (Java/Kotlin).
- Some experience with backend development to support mobile applications / SDK preferred.
- Incorporates testing and thinks about reliability as a natural part of delivering working software
- Solid knowledge of databases, SQL, and version control tools
- Able to design and architect maintainable and scalable technical systems
Planning and Execution
- Thinks critically about work to guarantee business functionality. Understands and takes into account business goals into their technical decisions.
- Plans and supervises work for others
- Completes complex tasks/projects in an efficient manner
- Foresees issues and requirements for large projects and features
- Can break down large initiatives into incrementally implementable deliverables
Working with Others
- Mentors and grows other engineers
- Sets and evaluates goals for direct reports
- Provides effective and accurate technical feedback in code reviews
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues
- Able to positively influence other engineers, both directly and indirectly
- Works with product owners, analysts, and other functions to move the company’s priorities forward