We are seeking a Mobile Network Engineer in Reston, Virginia to support the definition, testing, operational deployment and ongoing sustainment of mobile network components and services. We are looking for an individual who is motivated to deliver excellent results. A great attitude, and the ability to learn quickly and adapt in a fast-paced environment, is key.
What you’ll do…
- As part of a cross-functional integrated team, the ideal candidate will participate in and lead aspects of the definition, testing, and delivery of multi-technology (3G, 4G, 5G) cellular systems.
- Support the operational deployment of these systems after delivery.
- Work with development and operations teams to define ongoing mobile capability improvements including implementation and validation.
- Occasionally work off hours to support network maintenance and customer activities.
- Infrequent domestic and international travel possible.
What you’ll learn…
- Radio mobile access technologies, such as LTE and 5G from handset to core network.
- SS7 and Diameter protocols, including routing and their use in enabling mobile networks.
- A detailed understanding of how all mobile services work from end-to-end by working with the best mobile engineers worldwide.
You’d be a great fit if you…
- A B.S. degree in engineering discipline. Coursework focus in telecommunications related areas desirable.
- Detailed knowledge of the following:
- Relevant 3GPP specifications that define 3G, 4G, and 5G technologies
- Layer 3 and Non-access Stratum (NAS) protocols in UMTS and LTE
- Messages and flows on 3G (Iuh, Iu-CS, Iu-PS), 4G (S1), and 5G (N1, N2) interfaces
- Cellular network access systems including nodeB, eNodeB, gNodeB and associated RF components (antennas, amplifiers, etc)
- Capabilities, functions, and management of SGSN, MSC/VLR, SGW, and MME
- Measurement tools such as Nemo Handy, Nemo Outdoor, and similar
- Protocol analyzer tools such as Wireshark, tcpdump, and similar
- A basic knowledge of SS7, Diameter, SIGTRAN and SIP along with their application in mobile networks.
- Highly motivated. Willing to work hard and be rewarded for it.
- Attitude and aptitude are key. These traits trump all others.
- This position requires the candidate to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance. In order to obtain a clearance, you need to be a U.S. Citizen and show proof of citizenship.
It would be even better if you had experience with…
- Experience of 3-5 years in telecommunications, preferably in a mobile operator environment or working with a mobile network equipment vendor
- Good understanding of Linux with scripting/programming experience a plus.
- General understanding of IP routing.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the drive to find solutions to difficult problems.
- Must be highly organized with good documentation skills.