Help us make Gruntwork delightful!
At Gruntwork, we aim to improve humanity’s most important invention: Software. Our product enables software teams to launch and maintain production-grade cloud infrastructure in days, not months.
We create the building blocks that devs and DevOps engineers can to use to make launching in the cloud 10x better / faster/ easier. We think of our work as creating a new paradigm for how DevOps can be done, one that leverages the insight that so many companies re-invent so much of the foundations that software engineers need to build and launch their apps. We’re a small team (~20 people) but our clients include Toyota, Adobe, TicketMaster, Verizon, and lots of startups.
We are profitable, self-funded (no investors), pay salaries, equity and bonuses according to transparent formulas, and are very focused on building a company we’re proud of. We also care a lot about humans.
Gruntwork is 100% remote.
Half our team is located in the USA, and the other half in Europe, however we prioritize reasonable work hours by only hiring within the time zones that stretch from San Francisco, CA to Berlin, Germany and creating teams that are clustered in similar time zones. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
What you’ll work on:
- Gruntwork Platform: Help us build a fundamentally better DevOps experience. Our SaaS platform (Node.js, TypeScript, Next.js/React, Tailwind) is the gateway to all Gruntwork products, and the tool that customers use to manage their account. It is increasingly the heart of our customer UX with many upcoming high-impact releases.
- Docs site: DevOps is “broad and shallow” and teaching our customers both DevOps best practices and how to use our own products is central to our mission. To that end, we are actively working on a complete re-think of how our customers experience and consume our documentation, including novel ideas on next-generation developer UX.
- Marketing website. See something we could improve on gruntwork.io? Great, because we could help use your help here, too! We have a long list of improvements in mind for the structure, content, UX, and messaging of this site so that we can more effectively reach both prospective customers and future Grunts.
Our benefits reflect our values. We believe compensation should be fair, transparent, and generous. We hire Grunts in many countries, so some details may vary.
- Above-Market Salary. To reduce bias and increase transparency, we compute all salaries using formulas. The formula factors in your title and location and uses a multiplier to produce a result that’s above market for that title and location.
- Profit-Sharing Bonus. We set aside a pot of money at the end of each year based on profits and distribute bonuses according to a formula that uses as inputs your level within the company and the length of your tenure at the company.
- Performance Bonus. We give performance-based bonuses, depending on your performance.
- Equity. We grant stock options to all new Grunts.
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance. We offer a range of high-quality plans with a large portion paid by the company.
- FSA and HSAs. We don’t contribute to these accounts, but we do offer them as an option.
- Pension/401(k). We contribute a portion of your salary to your pension or 401(k).
- Disability insurance. If you get disabled, we have a policy that will pay out a portion of your salary.
- Hardware budget. We’ll buy you a brand new 16″ Apple MacBook Pro (or other computer of your choosing of equivalent value) upon joining. It will be owned by you, not the company.
- Personal Budget. We’ll give you a personal budget of several hundred dollars per month to spend on your workspace (e.g., a co-working space), health (e.g., gym, yoga), time (e.g., babysitter), and/or learning (e.g., books, courses).
Skills & Requirements
- You have a deep understanding of the core technologies we use: TypeScript, React, Node.js, Next.js, NextAuth
- You can write code across the stack, but are especially strong with front end development (HTML/CSS/React/Typescript).
- You are well-steeped in HTML and CSS and a fan of the TailWind approach.
- You write code that other developers love to read.
- You genuinely care about the quality of the code you work with and take initiative to improve it.
- You’re at least slightly (or moderately…) bothered when elements on a page are a few pixels off.
- Bonus: You noticed and were bothered by the fact that some sentences in this list ended in periods but others didn’t.
- Note that we’re less concerned with prior experience than we are with your demonstrated ability to learn quickly and go deep when necessary.