This is an exciting opportunity for a data center professional passionate about open source software, Linux, and the latest server and network technologies. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
As a Data Center Engineer in Canonical, you will be responsible for the day-to-day management and operations of our data center and labs in the Boston area. This includes hardware management, working with data center automation tooling, interacting with vendors, asset tracking and handling deliveries. This is an office-based role, and requires that you’re located in Boston area.
What you’ll do
- Be responsible for the full hardware lifecycle: ordering, delivery and installation, migration into production, maintenance and eventual decommissioning
- Diagnose and repair system errors, infrastructure issues and network connectivity problems
- Work to standardize processes, configurations, and procedures in cooperation with engineers in our other data centers
- Actively contribute to Canonical’s MAAS data center automation tooling
- Minimize downtime with effective planning and notify relevant stakeholders of scheduled maintenance periods
- Improve and extend hardware and network monitoring
- Regularly update asset management tool to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Update of equipment firmware when appropriate/needed
Who you are
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Python scripting experience
- At least 1 year of Linux Administration experience
- Mix of Rack and Virtual systems experience
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively in English
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Ability to work with a globally distributed team of passionate engineers
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- Experience working for an internet service provider or large hosting provider is a bonus
- CCNA preferred
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.