Help global companies embrace the latest private cloud infrastructure, cloud native operations, and open source applications. Our global cloud field engineering team apply expert insights to real-world customer problems, enabling the enterprise adoption of Ubuntu, OpenStack, Kubernetes and a wide range of associated technology.
We often say that field engineering is ‘the hardest job at Canonical’ because customers can ask about any aspect of our solutions and products and expect a thoughtful, well-informed answer. We always want to do the best thing for our customers, regardless of our company interests, and field engineers are the people we trust to ensure that is true.
The people who love this role are developers who like to solve customer problems through architecture, presentations and training.
The main responsibilities of this position are:
- Understand Ubuntu, Linux, KVM and TCP/IP in real-world environments
- Architect complex infrastructure solutions like OpenStack, Kubernetes, Ceph, Hadoop and Spark
- Architect and integrate popular open source such as PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Kafka, Cassandra and NGINX
- Help customer embrace cloud practices from bare metal to public cloud to cloud-native and serverless
If you have a passion for the latest open source technologies, cloud-native development, data centre technologies such as Openstack, Kubernetes, Public Cloud (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud) and computer networking, you will love the Cloud Field Engineer role at Canonical.
The successful Field Software Engineer will have :
- Degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 3 years of Linux development experience
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Python and Go development skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- High motivation, ability to multi-task and follow-up reliably on commitments
- Interest in customer-facing engagement, including pitching, demonstrating and understanding customer environment and needs
- Experience working with Ubuntu, OpenStack, Kubernetes, or Ceph
- Interest in new technologies like LXD, MAAS, Juju and Snaps
- Ability to travel globally for periods up to two weeks; up to 50% of travel time (after covid-19 restrictions lift)
Nice to have:
- Second language – Mandarin or Japanese is a plus.
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.