As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be designing and building API’s that connect farmers to a wide range of datasets: weather, satellite imagery, telematics, seed and fertilizer data, financial market data, real time pricing data and much more. You‘ll work closely with our product team to engineer solutions that improve farmers ability to manage their farms through our software.
Who You Are
You’re smart, self-starting, and want to be part of a killer team that is aligned around serving our customers and our mission. You enjoy applying your design and engineering skills towards solving painful problems. You prefer environments where life is fast-paced and full of opportunity. You enjoy collaborating with smart people and value their feedback. You enjoy writing clean, testable and modular software. You’re pragmatic, keep it simple, and know how to choose the right tool for the job.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand business requirements, work with other team members, and develop solid engineering solutions.
- Enable access to third-party tools and services to strengthen our value to growers and their partners.
- Engage in code and design reviews to ensure consistency and quality throughout our engineering organization.
- Serve as a voice for engineering in business requirement discussions to ensure the needs of the entire organization are well understood.
- Be responsible for features all the way from napkin sketch to production deployment.
- Show commitment to maintaining and improving functionality on an ongoing basis.
- Mentor and partner with other members of the team to help them craft great software and develop their skills as engineers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and coach other engineers
- Ability to quickly dissect complex problems and provide comprehensive technical solutions.
- Adept at identifying pragmatic solutions
- Effective communication at all levels of technical understanding.
- Strength with negotiating project scope and strong time estimation skills.
Education and Experience
- 6+ years of professional software engineering experience.
- Proficient with Python and SQL
- Experience building HTTP and GraphQL APIs
- Experience using and managing data stores, including PostgreSQL, Redis, and S3
- Experience managing background workloads with Celery and RabbitMQ
- Familiarity working with geospatial data, including GeoJSON and shapefile formats, and GIS tools such as PostGIS, GDAL, Shapely, and Rasterio
- Demonstrated ability to write clean, modular and testable software.
- Significant experience integrating third-party API’s and obscure data formats.
Nice to have
- Knowledge and passion for the farming industry
- Previous work experience at a startup
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience deploying with Kubernetes, Helm, and Docker
- Java or Clojure experience
- Prolonged periods of sitting, or standing if preferred, at a desk and working on a computer.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work performed; it is not intended as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and required skills for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State laws. The job description is subject to change at any time. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.