Vail Systems is seeking a DevOps Engineer familiar with maintaining internal software applications and deploying, operating and troubleshooting systems that are part of a 24x7 carrier-grade voice platform with soft real-time and low latency requirements. As a DevOps Engineer, you will be expected to develop, test and deploy applications to production environments. This role is team-oriented, as you will collaborate with other highly technical engineering staff to support and deliver solutions for our clients.
The ideal candidate will have a strong system engineering and system administration background to successfully build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring, log management and other operations. The candidate will have experience automating and streamlining operations processes and be skillful at troubleshooting, debugging, monitoring and testing. This includes knowledge of the software development lifecycle and deployment procedures. Additionally, the candidate will be organized, self-motivated and adaptable.
What you’ll do:
- Help streamline operations and processes by participating in weekly team meetings to present research, design, propose and deliver innovative solutions.
- Review and respond to ticket requests in Jira by troubleshooting issues on a 24x7 carrier-grade voice platform to find effective resolutions in client-facing scenarios.
- Evaluate, introduce and operationalize container and orchestration tools such as Helm, Flux and OPA for Vail’s carrier-grade platform.
- Operationalize new application and platform components, infrastructure and critical systems.
- Research and apply new industry technologies and evolving best practices in Vail’s DevOps practices.
- Develop migration strategies for upgrading to new technologies.
- Create and maintain systems documentation and procedures in Confluence.
- Maintain compliance with security standards, such as PCI and HIPAA.
- Support internal teams by assisting in deployments and feature integrations.
- Automate manual functions by writing scripts.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field.
- 7+ years of experience in a Linux/Unix System Administration role.
- Experience managing mid to large-sized server environments with strong high-availability requirements.
- Proficiency in troubleshooting and debugging.
- Familiarity with configuration management using SaltStack, Puppet, Chef or similar technologies.
- Scripting experience in Shell (Bash, zsh, etc.), Python or Perl.
- Technical understanding of virtualization and container architectures.
- Experience with containerization tools such as Docker.
- Experience with continuous integration, continuous deployment (CI/CD) tools, such as CloudBees or Jenkins.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of open-source technologies such as BIND DNS, Nginx, Postgres, Icinga, Fluentd, etc.
- Experience working with software engineers in a highly technical environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with cloud services, such as AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud.
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations for carrier-grade, highly available services.
- Proficiency with monitoring, logging, and orchestration solutions for cloud native architectures, such as Prometheus, ELK, Grafana and Kubernetes.