Trellis is a full-service eCommerce agency with a single mission: make commerce simple. We help growth-focused companies succeed through strategy, design, development, and performance-based marketing services. As an award-winning, remote-first organization with headquarters in Boston, we’ve had the pleasure of helping some amazing brands succeed in the world of eCommerce and across industries such as apparel, beauty, manufacturing, sports, and many more.
Our clients turn to us for our technological expertise and depend on our ability to deliver comprehensive solutions to their complex problems. Our Assistant Tech Leads serve as the right-hand to our Tech Leads in scoping, estimating, and providing those solutions. Assistant Tech Leads fill a vital role in helping in architecting technical requirements, estimating tickets, performing code reviews, handling escalations, and serving as experts in all things Shopify.
We’re looking for individuals who thrive in dynamic environments, embrace process and organization, are detail-oriented, and enjoy using data to inform their decision making.
Below are some of the core responsibilities our Tech Leads have:
- Assisting the Technical Lead by adding technical details to tickets, architecting solutions, and estimating new or future work.
- Managing a daily flow of work and delegating work to other team members appropriately.
- Mentoring and teaching junior team members on topics related to Shopify development.
- Handling escalations of mid-level difficulty regarding any aspect of Shopify website issues.
- Reviewing junior developers and promoting good development practices.
Below are some of the relevant experiences that would make someone a good fit for this role:
- At least 3 years of provable Shopify experience is required. We suggest submitting a small portfolio, or at least a code sample as proof of this experience.
- Knowledge of modern CSS concepts such as Grid CSS and Flexbox.
- Experience with Vue.js or React.js is a plus.
- Ability to develop for a myriad of devices with differing screen sizes and resolutions.
- Understanding of web standards and accessibility, and experience building stateful web applications with client-side technologies.
- Experience using Git for version control.
- Experience integrating with external web services, like SOAP, REST, or Graph QL APIs, is recommended.
- Comfort using software development management tools like the Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence, etc.) or a similar set of applications.
Success as an Assistant Tech Lead at Trellis requires a mastery of JIRA and Shopify. As such, we’re looking for candidates that either already possess or could obtain both their “JIRA Essentials” certification and “Shopify Theme Developer” certification within the first three months of their time at Trellis. Given the importance we place on this, we cover all costs related to training and the certification as well as offer a bonus upon obtaining the certification. While not required, a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field of study is preferred.
Below are some of the tools that our Tech Leads use regularly:
- Shopify Admin
- Communications & Productivity
Working at Trellis
Trellis is a fast-growing, self-funded eCommerce agency and already one of North East’s leading firms. While our headquarters are just outside of Boston, over 2/3 of our team is distributed across the US and internationally. We’re a remote-first organization with work/life balance at our core that provides a range of benefits to our employees, including:
- Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Company-Paid Laptop and Home Office Equipment
- 15 Days Flexible PTO + Earned Seniority
- 20 Days Additional PTO for Parental Leave
- 401K with Employer Matching
- Donation Matching Program
- Education and Professional Development Bonuses
- Performance-Based Bonuses
While we’re over 60 people, we structure our teams into smaller ‘Squads,’ providing an opportunity to build deep connections with colleagues and longer-term relationships with our clients. We aim to provide an inclusive environment that encourages a diverse group of voices to contribute to our company. This inclusion is often in the form of employee-led “Lunch & Learns,” employee-driven special interest groups, paired mentorship, and transparent career advancement policies. All of these initiatives stem from our Core Principles:
Be a Source of Honesty: Communicate transparently and act honestly with our clients, teammates, and community.
Engage with Problem Solvers:Recruit and retain high-quality creative and technical employees that love solving problems and are empowered to do fantastic work.
Support Growth: Encourage and support the growth of our clients and teammates, even when we’ve made mistakes.
Demonstrate through Results: Use results as the ultimate way to sell our ideas and capabilities.