At The RealReal, we are building a world-class DevOps culture by growing and investing in our Cloud Infrastructure team to support the growth of the Company and the Technology organization. As our Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer you will be exposed to the latest technology, a pervasive data-driven culture, while immersed in a friendly, helpful engineering organization. As a member of a small team, you’ll be able to shape the evolution of our cloud technology stack and represent our team to the rest of the organization.
This position reports to the Sr. Director of Technical Operations and as part of our team, you will develop and build our infrastructure and code pipelines. Major projects may include platform migrations, multi-region high-availability deployments, CI/CD pipelines, metrics and observability, and more. Bring your thorough, practiced understanding of DevOps and Cloud to help shape The RealReal’s production infrastructure and Technology culture!
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Design, build, and evolve our production infrastructure, strategically employing automation, and infrastructure-as-code.
- Design, build and evolve our code pipelines, designing and building automation in order to enable agile software development, using self-service where possible.
- Collaborate efficiently and effectively with Engineers and Product teams on complex problems involving functionality and scaling/performance. Drive ad-hoc troubleshooting teams towards solutions during emergency production incidents.
- Advocate for and enforce compliance with 12 Factor methodology in our apps, convincing stakeholders and engineers to use best practices.
- Lead the technical design of projects assigned, pulling in Technical and Non-Technical staff as necessary.
- Quickly absorb context and tribal knowledge while ramping up and using that to build or bolster documentation. Turns obscure tribal knowledge into well-known and understood collective knowledge.
- Keep a strong level of quality and velocity in your work, while collaborating and reporting when appropriate.
- Exercise and promote security best practices
- Participate in an on-call rotation on a regular basis and respond to incidents reliably and professionally. Lead technical troubleshooting if necessary
What You Bring To The Role
- 5+ years of DevOps or Systems Administration experience
- Significant experience (4+ years) building and maintaining highly available cloud infrastructure across multiple regions in AWS and/or GCP
- A self-described expert in automating repeatable processes using popular languages such as bash, python, or other preferred languages
- In-depth and expansive knowledge of Hashicorp Terraform
- Detailed understanding of packaging, deploying and supporting containerized (Docker) applications using the latest orchestration tools
- Experience building Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment workflows deploying microservices to production to allow our developers to focus on building products
- Experience working with Data Engineering and Data Science teams to build out infrastructure to support data pipelines
- Having worked closely with Development organizations, a deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, experience using SDLC-style development in infrastructure automation
- Extensive use of git and Github workflows and knowledge about GitOps
- Understanding of database performance in production with experience supporting cloud-based MySQL or PostgreSQL (ie., AWS RDS, AWS Aurora RDS, GCP Cloud SQL)
- Experience tuning and troubleshooting performance for high traffic web services using diagnostic tools such as APM, browser monitoring, logging, observability, etc.
- Strong awareness and understanding of common network protocols, including HTTP, HTTPS, TCP, SSL/TLS, and how they are used
- Knowledge and implementation of Hashicorp tools besides Terraform, such as Vault