- Job Description
Information Technology (IT) at Procter & Gamble is where business, innovation and technology integrate to create a competitive advantage for P&G. Our mission is clear -- we deliver IT to help P&G win with the over 5 billion consumers we serve worldwide. Our IT professionals are diverse business leaders who apply IT mastery to deliver game-changing, technology-driven business models and capabilities for our 65 iconic, trusted brands.
From Day 1, you’ll be trusted to dive right in, take the lead, use your initiative, and build billion-dollar brands that help make everyday activities easier and make the world a better place. You’ll be doing meaningful work that takes your career places you never imagined. And you’ll do this in creative workspaces where new ideas flourish and where your technical mastery is recognized and rewarded.
Our move to a “Cloud-First” strategy has quickly led to a massive shift of application development and hosting to the major public clouds. With this shift has come the challenge to engineer, operate and secure these environments. To address this, we are building an elite engineering team and seeking to staff up rapidly with both external and contract-to-hire resources. While the initial focus will be more traditional database areas (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, etc.), resources are expected to flex into different DBMS areas when needed.
This position is for a DBA engineering role with specialization in a major database technology and knowledge of cloud DB technologies and database types, such as transactional databases, data warehouses, NoSQL, Big Data, etc. The role will include the major cloud environments (AWS, Azure, GCP), so hands-on experience in at least one cloud environment required, with deep experience preferred. The applicant should have at least 5 to 10+ years of experience as a hands-on DBA and act as a “leader with vision” with respect to database management, capable of self-directed execution against broader aligned plans. Specific types of potential responsibilities for this role include:
- Build new cloud-based database environments for P&G cloud initiatives.
- Serve as overall domain expert on all database technologies (Oracle, SQL Server, NoSQL, etc.) and market capabilities/trends.
- Collaborate with internal and external parties to transform high-level technical objectives into comprehensive technical requirements.
- Formulate detailed design specifications for stable and secure database computing operations in a dynamic cloud-based environment.
- Own database engineering, enhancements, and improvements for reliability, security, scalability, manageability, and performance across a wide variety of network, storage, and compute technologies.
- Explore, identify, plan, and embrace emerging cloud database and storage technologies, features, and capabilities.
- Analyze on-premise and cloud database installations and evaluate transformation opportunities.
- Define database reference architectures and migration approaches to help transform and migrate on-premise databases into public clouds.
- Provide L3 operational support for data feeds, system performance and availability events.
- Install database management systems (DBMS) and provide input for modification of procedures and documentation used for problem resolution and day-to-day maintenance. Independently perform administration for a particular application portfolio as needed.
- Configure and manage database environments, including database physical structure and functional capabilities, security, test case planning, back-up, and recovery specifications.
- Perform tasks such as loading data, monitoring database health, tuning, and other administration task.
- Design, maintain, and enhance design data dictionaries, physical and logical database models, maintain a central repository of database information.
- Ensure database security and integrity. Performs audit reviews including authorization check, cross-database dependency checks, review initialization parameters, connect permissions, server security settings etc.
- Maintains database performance by identifying and resolving production and application development problems; calculating optimum values for parameters; evaluating, integrating, and installing new releases; completing maintenance; answering user questions.
- Ensure software compliance and usage to regulatory and licensing constraints.
- Create debugging procedures and other database objects as appropriate for problem investigation and resolution.
- Develop capacity plans, forecast capacity growth, and build changes needed to scale database infrastructure to meet business demand while balancing cost with performance.
- Qualifications Required:
- Oracle DBA or SQL Server DBA (or equivalent) in a cloud environment, with at least 5 to 10+ years’ experience as a DBA
- Bachelor's Degree in an IT related field
- Knowledge of database monitoring and alerting tools, both cloud-native and third-party
- Experienced in administration of DBMS systems with working knowledge of UNIX/Linux OS administration, disk configuration, and network configuration
- Understand interaction between database and non-database components with expertise in SQL and database programming languages (PL/SQL, TSQL, etc.)
- Independently led database administration and engineering for multiple projects in similar industry or function
- Experience in automating routine administrative tasks
- Excellent verbal and oral communication skills (English) with both technical and non-technical colleagues from geographically distributed teams on all organizational levels.
- Results-oriented with a strong ability to prioritize and deliver results.
- Problem-solving attitude (blameless post-mortem).
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Deep understanding of database logging, replication options including CDC (Change Data Capture)
- Hands on systems administration for Windows, Linux, and/or UNIX
- Cloud vendor (Azure, GCP, AWS) certification at the administrator or developer level
- Awareness of basic information security awareness protocols, software security in the SDLC lifecycle, and OWASP Top 10 concepts
- IT operations background and/or ITIL foundations knowledge
The Value of a P&G Career
- Ongoing coaching and career development – you will work with passionate people and have access to best in class training through our P&G Leadership Academy as well as day-to-day mentoring from your manager
- We provide a market-competitive salary benchmarked against the finest companies, so you'll be able to spend your generous vacation time doing more of the things you love with the people you love
- We offer a suite of benefits, including but not limited to: flexible working arrangements, generous paid vacation increasing with service, generous parental leave policies, group life insurance, health insurance, and dedicated support to help you find the right child care or elder care
- Additional perks include discounted P&G products from our company shops and a discount platform offering you unbeatable savings on everything from groceries to exotic holidays
- What's more, your financial package might include things like interest-free loans, a tax-advantageous share purchase plan, a contributory pension plan, and financial education and advisement on topics including purchasing real estate and generating wealth
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, citizenship, HIV/AIDS status or any other legally protected factor.
Immigration sponsorship is not available for this role. As a general matter, Procter & Gamble does not sponsor candidates for nonimmigrant visas or permanent residency. However, Procter & Gamble may make exceptions on a discretionary basis. Any exceptions would be based on the Company's specific business needs at the time and place of recruitment as well as the particular qualifications of the individual.
Procter & Gamble participates in e-verify as required by law.
Qualified individuals will not be disadvantaged based on being unemployed