We at Smile are on a quest to take the “work” out of work. To do this we’re on the search for a self-motivated and inquisitive QA Engineer to help delight our customers by finding bugs and crafting an amazing experience for our TextExpander product.
Who you are:
? You love to break things! You spend a minute with a piece of software, and you’ve found three novel ways to break it.
? Inquisitive by nature, you love to ask “what happens if…?”. You realize that if you don’t find the bugs, our customers will.
? You are self-directed and can manage your time well. You know when it’s time to move on to the next task.
? You’re comfortable working in a distributed environment with a small and talented team where you're supported in your efforts to grow professionally.
?? You write excellent stepwise instructions to reproduce the problems you encounter, illustrated with screenshots.
? You’re no stranger to writing and executing test cases, pondering and implementing ways to automate client software testing, and you’re probably quite the JIRA jockey.
What you’ll do:
Our engineering team will rely on your testing expertise to improve client software testing in new and interesting ways. You will start by learning from our current team and offerings to become intimately familiar with our client software and existing test case database. As you improve your understanding of our clients and testing process, you will contribute by developing new test cases. You may also want to automate existing manual test processes.
- Collaborate with a small team of developers, testers, and designers to develop comprehensive black box, functional QA plans for current and future products involving a combination of Desktop and Mobile platforms (macOS, iOS, ChromeOS, Windows, Android)
- Execute test cases, identifying defects and regressions
- Revise and update existing QA plans and cases within test management software
- Document new bugs and usability issues / feature requests, and prioritize development
- Work closely with our engineering team to clarify bug details
- Automate existing manual test processes (giving you more time to explore other forms of destruction)
- Participate in and receive peer reviews of your work
- Work with other departments (Support, Marketing, Sales, Customer Success) to capture bug details and feature requests from external sources
- 1+ years of practical experience in application QA
- Experience performing QA in a team development environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Positive attitude, willingness to share with and learn from others
Tech needed for the job:
- High-speed, reliable Internet connection
Skills needed to succeed at Smile:
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Self-motivated, and comfortable with little supervision
- Excellent written communication skills
- Comfortable working with a remote team
- Highly detail-oriented
- Adaptable, able to learn and grow
- Reliable, smart, honest, organized, positive, personable (like us!)
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- Automated UI testing
- Accessibility testing
- Remote work experience
- Experience with JIRA or other similar system
- Comfort with Macintosh, Windows, iOS, Chrome, and Android operating systems
- College education and/or previous relevant experience
- High level of autonomy in your role
- Motivated and creative teammates
- Flexible schedule (with some US time zone overlap)
- Work remotely
- Employment benefits:
- Healthcare reimbursement plan (ICHRA plan)
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 401(k) plan
- Profit-sharing plan
- Long-term disability insurance
- Educational assistance plan
- Contract work also negotiable
- Salary based on experience
Smile develops productivity software for Mac, Windows, Chrome, iPhone, and iPad. Headquartered in San Francisco, California, Smile is a closely knit, geographically diverse company. We have proudly served our customers for over a decade.
At Smile, we embrace diversity. We strongly encourage underrepresented minorities to apply, even if they're not sure they meet all qualifications.
Smile provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.