Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are working with governments, civic agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas - be it in mapping out the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and trafficking. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital, Horizons Venture and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
We are seeking a hands-on product manager to drive product development for our global fleet of ocean-going sailing drones. As a member of the team, you’ll work closely with software engineers, manufacturing, operations and business development organizations to facilitate both short-term tactical work and longer-term strategic initiatives.
This role will have a specific focus on our command, control, and navigation software. As the product manager for this team, you will have many varied duties, from internal program management around testing and releasing new features, to longer term planning and strategy for how we control our growing fleet.
We will rely on you to hold our teams accountable to producing cutting-edge technology on time and at a high quality bar. In the beginning, expect to spend your time driving features and improvements, analyzing data to assess and track success, and overtime you will own and define entire pieces of our product roadmap. At a quickly growing company like Saildrone, you will need to thrive in ambiguity and be self-directed.
On our small, tight-knit team, you’ll get leadership visibility and have a direct impact on the drones we sail around the world to collect first-in-class data. You will be a part of a team of talented individuals who are just as passionate about supporting one another as they are about our planetary mission. Honesty and willingness to accept feedback are critical, as is a sense of humor and generally having fun!
Required skills and experience
- 3+ years of experience in software product development
- Experience working with software teams to implement new features and iterative, agile improvements
- Experience managing software development lifecycle: defining requirements, establishing quality metrics and KPIs, using data to quantify success
- Ability to quickly pick up new concepts, and dive into a problem with a solutions-oriented, outcome-focused mindset
- Willingness to both solicit and give honest feedback
- Strong technical understanding. Ability to establish credibility with engineers
- Ability to thrive within a fast-paced, ever-changing startup environment
- A clear and concise communicator, who can ensure that all parties are on the same page and working towards a shared plan
Desired skills and experience
- Technical background in engineering, other related disciplines, or ocean scientific field
- Experience sailing is a plus
- Experience working with on products with integration points with electromechanical components or in the robotics space is a plus
- BA/BS (or MA/MS) or equivalent experience
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft! (once COVID safety allows)
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
- Saildrones are mapping the oceans (CNET May 2021)
- Gulfstream (April 2021)
- Saildrone Surveyor Launch (Jan 2021)
- Four autonomous vessels sailed the Arctic to more precisely map its seafloor(Oct 2020)
- Coast Guard Begins At-Sea Testing of Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Tackle Illegal Fishing, Crime (Oct 2020)
- Five Ways Saildrone’s ‘Satellites Of The Seas’ Could Transform Mauritius Oil Spill Response (Sept 2020)
- Due to COVID-19, NOAA Uses Drones Instead of Ships for Fishery Survey (June 2020)
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.