Position Title: Software Engineer
Reports to: CEO
Position Location: Full-Time Remote (even post COVID)
Politech is the company behind Blocks, a SaaS web application for effective political advocacy. We help organizations manage and realize their policy goals by providing them with tools that assist them in tasks such as voter registration, grassroots organizing, and outreach. Our primary focus has been to assist progressive organizations that advocate on behalf of underserved communities. Our software platform has been a vital part of keeping such organizations successful and efficient.
Who We Are
We are deeply committed to public service and progressive social change. We are 100% minority owned and operated with a diverse team, inclusive of gender, ethnicity, and race.
Politech seeks a skilled engineer with basic or intermediate Elixir experience to join our team. Experience with other functional languages, production Rails experience, and/or React/modern JS would also be helpful. Our primary product is a legacy Rails 5 API that we are in the early stages of migrating to Phoenix. We favor collaboration over hierarchical decision making, and this position will work directly with other developers and reports directly to the CEO.
Our employees are from all over the country and bring varying levels of experience to the company. First and foremost, we value honesty from all employees. We strongly encourage a work environment centered on open communication and conscientiousness. Working remotely gives our employees the ability to better maintain a work-life balance, but we expect that productivity and job performance will not be sacrificed. We are a fully remote team so you will need to be flexible to work with staff in different time zones when requested.
The individual should be highly motivated to make a difference and to move progressive issues forward. Our employees’ opinions matter to us for the success of the company and we want you to bring creative solutions to make our work better for our clients. Interest and understanding of politics and campaigns is a plus, but not required.
- Assist in rewriting existing Rails code in Phoenix
- Design and implement new features in Phoenix that contribute to our clients success in the field of political organizing and voter outreach/registration
- Troubleshoot, optimize and codify best practices for managing the full application stack
- 1+ years of Elixir experience or 5+ years production Ruby/Rails experience
- 3+ years software development experience shipping production code
- Experience writing JSON APIs
- Appreciation for diverse thinking and approaches, and acceptance that every problem can have multiple solutions
- 2+ years Elixir experience
- 5+ years production Ruby/Rails experience
- Contributions to open source
- DevOps experience (esp. Ansible, Postgres, Nginx, Redis admin)
- Familiarity with GraphQL
- Interest in usability design principles
- Microservice architecture
- Performance tuning
Compensation: Competitive salary commensurate with knowledge, experience, and qualifications.
Politech is an Equal Opportunity Employer that greatly values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Include your GitHub account (or similar), resume, and cover letter. Write us something explaining who you are, what you do, why you want this job. We take our commitment to progressive social change seriously, and we expect you to be able to speak to yours in your cover letter. After an initial interview, you will be asked to provide a Elixir code sample or complete a code challenge in a relevant language.