Palo Alto Software is looking for a talented Senior Frontend Software Engineer to join our LivePlan app engineering team.
About our company and Eugene, Oregon
We're a friendly team of about 70 diverse, world-class experts. Each team member demonstrates our company values while adding positive contributions to our culture. Please review all the information on our culture at this link before applying to find out if it's a place where you can thrive.
Please visit liveplan.com to learn how our products help achieve our mission to help people succeed in business. We believe that when we help one small business owner grow their business, we're helping an entire community.
Our agile and innovative team of independent thinkers and creative problem-solvers enjoy work-life integration and full, interesting lives. We believe in candor with kindness and work that matters. We are currently working remotely for our health and safety. When it's safe, we plan to spend at least a couple of days per week in the office together for brainstorming, collaborating across teams, and developing good working relationships with our teammates. We'll maintain flexibility to have some days remote to benefit from the best of both worlds. (Only employees fully vaccinated against COVID-19 are allowed into the office or any company events.)
Our location in Eugene supports access to interesting and challenging work in a growing tech scene in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Eugene's short commute times and our drinking water from the McKenzie River Watershed are some of the best in the nation, and homes are more affordable than you'd find in Portland, Seattle, or the Bay Area.
Benefits we provide:
- Competitive salary
- Health (general and mental healthcare), vision, dental, ortho for you and your family
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Generous paid vacation and holidays
- Paid community volunteer time
- 401(k) with a match
- Relocation reimbursement
- Flexible work schedule and workplace
- Discounted gym membership
- Fun company events
- A diverse and inclusive environment
- Values-based company culture
- Opportunities to serve on "LiveWell" committee, Charitable Fund committee, and much more
About Our Product Team
Small, full-stack squads comprised of Engineers and QA Analysts work alongside our Product Manager, UX Designer, and User Researchers to understand the needs of our customers and collaborate closely through the entire value pipeline-from concept to development to delivery. As we grow in our ability to engage the continuous discovery+delivery model, we grow in our ability to deliver high-impact solutions to our customers on a regular cadence. Each member of the team is empowered to engage the big picture, bring their ideas to bear on tough problems, and experience the satisfaction of having a palpable impact on the outcomes of the team.
We develop our web applications using React, TypeScript, Java, Dropwizard, Redis, Postgres, Docker, AWS cloud hosting, and other contemporary technologies.
About this role:
This is a full-time, permanent, exempt position reporting to the Director of Engineering. While we are currently working mostly remotely, we expect to transition to a hybrid working environment with a focus on in-person collaboration in our office in Eugene, OR combined with some remote work.
What Success Looks Like:
- Challenging yourself and your team to meet Palo Alto Software's core value of excellence-the target is world-class products and world-class teams. Thinking about and studying what world-class means in our context, and persistently nudging us toward it.
- Internalizing our 3-5 year product vision (what we're building and why) and our 3-5 year technical vision (how we're going to execute on and support the product vision).
- Identifying and taking ownership of hard problems that stand in the way of our vision, collaborating with the team to discover and validate potential solutions, and then relentlessly executing until the problem is solved.
- Asking for help early and often, and embracing that things rarely go exactly as planned. Preventing small issues from becoming big problems by leaning on the team in support of your efforts.
- Regularly attending LivePlan training, LivePlan bootcamps, and customer calls in order to achieve and maintain a solid working understanding of the LivePlan method, as well as maintaining a solid understanding of who our users are and the problems they need us to help them solve.
- Forming opinions on how effectively the LivePlan app and architecture currently embodies the LivePlan method, thinking about how it could be better, and sharing those opinions and ideas with the team.
- Working to contribute to a safe environment for the team. Bringing your whole self to work, and consistently showing up with kindness. Sharing your thoughts, opinions, and needs with bravery and candor in order to keep your ledger of grievances short. Consistently investing time and energy into your personal relationships with teammates so that you can feel emboldened to do your best work and take risks in front of them, and they can do the same.
- Setting daily and weekly intentions for your work output, reflecting each day and week on how you did and consistently challenging yourself to grow and improve.
- Knowing that you are the master of your own growth.
The Senior Frontend Developer is responsible for:
- Collaborate daily and communicate proactively with your squadmates, manager, product manager, and our customers to ensure that the work you're doing creates value
- Squash bugs
- Plan, build, and maintain features
- Write up tickets and documentation in the course of your daily work
- Participate in team discussions on how we can improve our processes
- Engage in ongoing learning activities to expand knowledge of the product, financial management, language and library features, tools, current trends, and best practices
- Other duties:
- Onboard new developers, mentor junior developers, mentor interns, and cross-train team members from other areas of speciality
- Collaborate with stakeholders from other departments to implement tools for customer engagement and usage tracking
What you bring to the job:
- High level of craftsmanship around producing a well-modularized, understandable, and performant codebase
- Curiosity and reflectiveness above all else
- Grit. Once you have identified and engaged a problem, you do not give up easily. You are able to navigate and push through obstacles, and consistently drive to a solution.
- A commitment to continuous improvement: notice the less-than-ideal things about your day to day work and relentlessly move those things toward the ideal
- Top-notch creative problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to embrace and learn new technologies, techniques, and processes
- Excellent interpersonal skills, an appreciation for levity, and an easy ability to collaborate with other developers, UX designers, QA analysts, and more
Education, experience, & skills required:
- 3+ years of professional experience developing customer-facing apps, preferably in a SaaS environment
- Awareness of the fundamentals of web application security
Education, experience & skills preferred:
Expert level proficiency in one or more of the technologies in our frontend stack:
- Bonus for experience with other tools in our stack:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.