Our mission at Oura is to empower every person to own their inner potential. Our award-winning products help our global community gain a deeper knowledge of their readiness, activity, and sleep quality by using their Oura Ring and its connected app. By providing daily insights and practical steps to inspire healthy lifestyles, we've helped hundreds of thousands of people understand and improve their health.
For us, empowering the world starts with living our values and empowering our team. As a quickly growing company focused on helping people live healthier and happier lives, we work to promote work-life balance and ensure that our team members have what they need to do their best work — both in and out of the office.
As an experienced data engineer with Oura, you will lead the architecture of complex technical solutions that allow us to handle sensitive, health-relevant data from the ring, the app, and external research sources in a secure fashion. You will develop strategies to manage large-scale signal data, and provide the tools and environments that enable algorithm development at scale. You’ll work closely with our Data Scientists, Engineers, and Dev Ops specialists as a technical leader and resource. You will help investigate new technologies and select the right tool for the job, with an eye toward robust, scalable, and flexible architectures that facilitate teamwork and ensure high quality data.
What You’ll Do with Us
- Participate in the design and implementation of data pipelines to enable the rapid access, security, and quality control needed to support algorithm development.
- Build batch and event-driven data pipelines that empower data scientists' exploratory work as well as the training and deployment of machine learning models.
- Build infrastructure and components following best practices such as CI/CD and infrastructure as code.
- Work on AWS leveraging managed services and open source whenever suitable.
- Move and process large amounts of data with the help of tools like Dask, Spark, AWS Athena, AWS Batch, and others.
- Explore and prototype the latest technologies to identify the best solutions.
- Act as an expert technical resource in cross-functional interactions with Data Scientists, Researchers, and the Cloud Team
What You’ll Bring to the Team
- 4+ years of experience developing, monitoring and debugging production systems
- Experience running containerised workloads on AWS.
- Experience with Python. Other languages, like Java, Scala, C/C++, Rust are a plus.
- Good architectural understanding of event driven architectures, workflows, database and datawarehouse systems to help us scale along with our growing user base.
- Enjoy writing maintainable and well-tested code
- Follow common practices: version control (git), issue tracking, unit testing and agile development processes
- Have a pragmatic can-do attitude and delivery-focused mindset: you can handle tradeoffs between short-term goals and long-term tech debt
- Are happy both executing on your expertise as well as learning new skills
- Enjoy recruiting, mentoring, and motivating engineers
Together, we will define Oura as a company where you can:
- Be productive and do your best work
- Be part of a world-class engineering team following and helping define best practices
- Be happy and have great work-life balance - we work efficiently, remove the fluff and pointless meetings, so that work continues to inspire and motivate you
- Grow on your chosen career path, be it technical, people, managerial or leadership skills, or any mix of those
At Oura, we care about you and your wellbeing. Everyone here at Oura has a ring of their own and are continually looking to improve their health and add to our benefits!
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Wellness benefits
- Flexible working hours + work-life balance
- An Oura ring of your own
- Beautiful workspace in San Francisco by Pier 31
- 20 days of PTO
- Amazing culture of collaborative and passionate coworkers
Oura is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Individuals seeking employment at Oura are considered without regards to age, ancestry, color, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, socioeconomic status, protected family care or medical leave status, race, religion (including beliefs and practices or the absence thereof), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.